Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Violence near UChicago....49 shot in 6 days. UPDATE: SWAT patrolling the street.  (Read 5888 times)

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
Re: Violence near UChicago....32 shot in 2 days.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 04:28:13 AM »
This thread is of considerable interest to me:

I'm originally from Illinois, and love Chicago. However, I've never spent much time outside of The Loop/Lincoln Park/Michigan Ave. My fiancée will be moving with me, and I am particularly concerned with her safety, as I anticipate that she will be home alone fairly often.

How does the Northwestern campus area compare?

What neighborhoods in particular must be avoided when considering apartments/homes/etc.? Is anything south of 60th pretty bad? How about the area just north of Washington Park between MLK and S Cottage Grove? Is it generally better as you get closer to the lake?

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 08:48:05 AM »
This thread is of considerable interest to me:

I'm originally from Illinois, and love Chicago. However, I've never spent much time outside of The Loop/Lincoln Park/Michigan Ave. My fiancée will be moving with me, and I am particularly concerned with her safety, as I anticipate that she will be home alone fairly often.

How does the Northwestern campus area compare?

What neighborhoods in particular must be avoided when considering apartments/homes/etc.? Is anything south of 60th pretty bad? How about the area just north of Washington Park between MLK and S Cottage Grove? Is it generally better as you get closer to the lake?

Northwestern Campus is in the Gold Coast, and so is quite safe.

As for specific neighborhoods for UChicago, you won't have any trouble figuring it out.  Don't go too far south or west, and you'll be fine.  90% of the 1Ls who live in Hyde Park live in University Housing, the Regents apartment tower, or the New Grad dormitory; all of those are perfectly safe options.  As a rough box, focus on north of 60th, east of Cottage Grove, and south of 47th.

Justice2000

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 12:32:48 AM »
Actually, using the site that provided the numbers above, Gold Coast had 2,662 crimes in the time that Hyde Park had 1,409. Cold Coast seems safer, probably, since it's much wealthier and close to downtown, but the stats show that's it's not any safer than Hyde Park, and probably more dangerous. Really, Hyde Park, while not as safe as a little town in Iowa, is not particularly dangerous. Empirically speaking, Hyde Park is safer than the average Chicago neighborhood. It may sound hard to believe that a few blocks makes that much difference, but the reality of the segregation of neighborhoods in Chicago is that five blocks makes an incredible difference and there is very little crossing of boundaries in either direction. Hyde Park isn't any more dangerous than other urban campuses. People tend to fear it because it's on the infamous South Side of Chicago, but the fears are really unfounded. Yes, crime happens in Hyde Park, but it happens just as much or more on other campuses that don't have the misfortune of being associated with notoriously dangerous areas.

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 01:58:35 AM »
Actually, using the site that provided the numbers above, Gold Coast had 2,662 crimes in the time that Hyde Park had 1,409. Cold Coast seems safer, probably, since it's much wealthier and close to downtown, but the stats show that's it's not any safer than Hyde Park, and probably more dangerous.

If you are trying to convince people that the University of Chicago neighborhood is safer than the Northerwestern neighborhood you are going to have a tough case to sell. No one in their right mind who is familiar with both neighborhoods can read your claim and keep a straight face.

isaidwhatwhat...

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 02:10:45 AM »
Actually Northwestern is in Streeterville. I am too tired to see if that would help or hurt your overall argument that Hyde Park had less instances of crime than Northwestern's neighborhood. Here is the link with the Streeterville map:

http://www.dreamtown.com/neighborhoods/streeterville.html

Also, UChicago law is in Woodlawn according to the above site. Since UChicago law is either at the very southern edge of Hyde Park or the very northern edge of Woodlawn, it would be interesting to see the crime statistics from the southern half of Hyde Park and the northern half of Woodlawn.

Even if Hyde Park were just as dangerous as areas surrounding other urban law schools, the original point is that UChicago and Hyde Park are very close to some terrible neighborhoods. Neighborhoods that are currently beginning a violent upsurge in crime, which has recently spilled over to within one block of the law school. In addition, the bad neighborhoods surrounding Hyde Park cover a large geographic area. It isn't like there is just one bad neighborhood bordering Hyde Park and then the good neighborhoods begin anew. One would have to travel through several bad neighborhoods to get to Hyde Park and if they continued in the same direction they would travel through many more. I'm not sure the same can be said of all other urban law schools.

Steve Jones

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dir of Admissions, Florida Coastal School of Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 02:58:37 PM »
There is very little violence in Jacksonville, a charming coastal city in Florida that just so happens to be the home of Florida Coastal School of Law, which is offering scholarships right now.
We have many people from your state that attend our school!

isaidwhatwhat...

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 11:17:40 PM »
The flip side is that I did know a few kids who got mugged, one got assaulted during a mugging (because he stupidly tried to fight the guy), but for the most part everyone else I knew was OK because they were aware of what was happening around them. The worst thing I saw was one night, walking back from the pub, when some dude was shooting into a building on Woodlawn. The cops came pretty quickly, but I was hiding behind a bush in a puddle of my own pee, so, I guess that's a net negative.

A net negative indeed.

isaidwhatwhat...

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 08:15:16 PM »
5 shot in the same shooting last night. Also on drudgereport. 2 miles from the law building.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/south.side.shooting.2.706944.html

isaidwhatwhat...

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Violence near UChicago....49 shot in 6 days. UPDATE: 5 shot last night.
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 11:56:47 PM »
5 shot in the same shooting last night. Also on drudgereport. 2 miles from the law building.

yfwgi

yfwgi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_war

Nah. I am just a long time lurker that saw a drudgereport headline twice about the same subject, then posted it because I thought it would be of concern to this board.

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 12:02:36 AM »
FWIW I lived on 60th last year and generally felt pretty safe. I even (stupidly) walked around at night,

I wouldn't want to live somewhere where I feel "generally" safe, witness drive by/run by shootings or where I am afraid to walk around at night.