Law School Discussion

Turn Down T14 for T2w/Full Ride? NU vs Baylor$$$

Turn Down T14 for T2w/Full Ride? NU vs Baylor$$$
« on: April 19, 2008, 10:14:23 PM »
At NU I would have to pay for everything with loans ($60,000 I'm guessing). At Baylor I would have to pay for only living expenses and books ($15,000 at most).

I don't mind leaving Texas for now. I would like to eventually come back though (5-10 years). I'm single with no kids. I'm interested in corporate law.

Is taking on the nearly $200,000 in debt worth the difference in rank/reputation, assuming I would place in the middle of my class at both schools (careerwise/opportunitywise)? What if I ranked below median at NU?

NYC2L

Re: Turn Down T2 Full Ride for T14? NU vs Baylor$$$
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 10:45:15 PM »
NU without a doubt. If you place in the middle of your class at Baylor you are out of luck for corporate work or any big law work for that matter. At NU, conversely, the middle of the class or even bellow will still provide you corporate opportunities in Chicago, NY, TX, etc. Furthermore, you are talking about a drastic difference in reputation. If you decided that you wanted to move into business (in-house or investment banking, etc.), NU would open door across the country while Baylor would only provide similar opportunities in TX and then only if you were high enough in your class to start your career in big law.

Although I completely understand the concern about cost, you intend to pursue high paid work anyway. If you're making 180-200K starting (which is the market rate), you can burn through 200K in debt pretty fast. NU virtually guarantees that salary for the top 60-70% of the class. Only the top 15% at Baylor could say the same. My calculus would change if you wanted to practice, for example, immigration law in TX. If that were the case, Baylor with $$$ would be a fine option. However, with your career goals, you cannot afford to take a chance at Baylor. Prestige is (almost) everything coming out of law school and NU provides it in spades.

UnoriginalAndrew

• I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
Re: Turn Down T2 Full Ride for T14? NU vs Baylor$$$
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 09:42:46 AM »
NU without a doubt. If you place in the middle of your class at Baylor you are out of luck for corporate work or any big law work for that matter. At NU, conversely, the middle of the class or even bellow will still provide you corporate opportunities in Chicago, NY, TX, etc. Furthermore, you are talking about a drastic difference in reputation. If you decided that you wanted to move into business (in-house or investment banking, etc.), NU would open door across the country while Baylor would only provide similar opportunities in TX and then only if you were high enough in your class to start your career in big law.

Although I completely understand the concern about cost, you intend to pursue high paid work anyway. If you're making 180-200K starting (which is the market rate), you can burn through 200K in debt pretty fast. NU virtually guarantees that salary for the top 60-70% of the class. Only the top 15% at Baylor could say the same. My calculus would change if you wanted to practice, for example, immigration law in TX. If that were the case, Baylor with $$$ would be a fine option. However, with your career goals, you cannot afford to take a chance at Baylor. Prestige is (almost) everything coming out of law school and NU provides it in spades.

Well put.  Go to NU.

Re: Turn Down T14 for T2w/Full Ride? NU vs Baylor$$$
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 10:55:13 AM »
You don't want to go to Waco, TX.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 11:24:42 AM »
#1: Waco is where the fun goes to die
#2: Most T2s have conditions on scholarships. NEVER take a scholarship that has a GPA cutoff.
#3: You are interested in corporate work. Only the top 20% at Baylor has a legitimate shot at doing corporate work.
#4: Starting salary differences will be HUGE for the respective medians:

Middle of the class at Baylor: 50k
Middle of the class at NU: $160k plus bonus

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 12:16:59 PM »
Baylor!!! Are you kidding? GO to NWU...and don't shoot up before you post.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 02:37:33 PM »
I don't understand why this thread isn't

UT$ vs. NU

Did you not get UT?

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 02:54:36 PM »

UT$ vs. NU

Did you not get UT?

This is exactly what I was thinking.

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 03:13:07 PM »

UT$ vs. NU

Did you not get UT?

You must have read my response on TLS. =)

If not UT, then SMU vs. UH vs. NU.  .

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 04:47:52 PM »
On TLS OP said s/he was waitlisted at UT (huh?) and didn't apply to SMU or UH.

Go to NU so I can live vicariously. It's my dream school.

Oh, I only read TLS threads that have "botbot" in them  :D

Just received a PM on TLS from a 0L in Buffalo who took the time to tell me how out of touch I was with the southern legal market...