Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn Law Part-time VS. Villanova Full Time  (Read 2294 times)

lawgirl21

• View Profile
Brooklyn Law Part-time VS. Villanova Full Time
« on: April 19, 2008, 10:22:36 PM »
Any thoughts on which is better?  or experience of anyone who has gone to either school?  Thanks!
GPA: 3.6
LSAT: 154, then 159

Harsh Reality

• View Profile
Re: Brooklyn Law Part-time VS. Villanova Full Time
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 10:58:25 PM »
You should find out how often students in the part time program can transfer into the full time program after the first year.  3 years of law school is bad enough, 4 years is torture. 

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 12:51:28 PM »
You should find out how often students in the part time program can transfer into the full time program after the first year.  3 years of law school is bad enough, 4 years is torture. 

As I wrote in the other thread of the same title, people in the part-time program at BLS can transfer to the full-time program at the end of the first semester as long as they are in good academic standing.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Harsh Reality

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 12:56:05 PM »

As I wrote in the other thread of the same title, people in the part-time program at BLS can transfer to the full-time program at the end of the first semester as long as they are in good academic standing.

What is considered good standing? Top 10%?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 01:00:50 PM »

What is considered good standing? Top 10%?

No, no.  Good standing as opposed to probation/dismissal, not "good class rank."  I think good standing is either >2.2 or >2.4.  Something like that.  The student handbook says that transferring is not automatic, but I don't know of anyone who's been denied.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

philzaga

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 10:13:54 PM »
The Brooklyn Law School part-time student fact sheet defines good academic standing as above a 2.5. 

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 03:29:22 PM »
Villanova is in a less competitive market. Brooklyn has to compete with NYU, Columbia,Fordham, Cardozo, and every other top 14 school grad who wants to practice in NYC.
With Villanova you have a good shot at Philly.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 03:45:13 PM »
Villanova is in a less competitive market. Brooklyn has to compete with NYU, Columbia,Fordham, Cardozo, and every other top 14 school grad who wants to practice in NYC.

This really depends on what kind of work you want.  Also, remember, there are a lot more jobs in NYC than in Philly, too.  I wouldn't trust either school's employment statistics, but I would say each gives you a good shot in its respective market as long as you're not dead-set on biglaw.

Harsh Reality

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 06:50:24 PM »

That's very true.  There is less competition in Philly whereas Brooklyn is a small fish in a big pond.  These days, everyone wants to work in NYC.

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 11:14:19 PM »
I don't buy this at all. Philly is a tiny market with few jobs to go around. The reason more people are going to NYC is because it is a huge market and the home base for 1/3 of the Vault 100.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...