Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .  (Read 719 times)

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« on: April 19, 2008, 05:29:48 PM »
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.

gclemen1

Re: Schools asking for documentiation of disclosures?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 05:37:28 PM »
ive never heard of that.  I didn't have to furnish anything.  I disclosed things on my app, and I would guess they would take your word for it bc you disclosed it in the first place.  I would think the BAR might be the one to do that kind of thing, but not law schools.

Calypso

• View Profile
Re: Schools asking for documentation of disclosures?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 01:04:08 AM »
To my understanding it depends on school and the original charges.  If the incident is truly closed, getting documentation from the court in question is as simple as calling and requesting it.  I would actually respect a school for requesting the documentation.  After all, (and this is nothing personal against you) there's really no reason to take an applicants word at face value.

Being as we're all getting ready to go to law school, I think we should get in the habit of having to provide documentation/proof/evidence of anything we say anyway.  Might as well start getting used to it now.  ;)

tiredofwaiting

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 08:59:46 PM »
Hi Diet,

I too had to disclose an incident at UH. I think their application said to supplement as needed. I went to the court house and got a printout/copy of my "final disposition." I submitted this with my application.

When I received my acceptance letter, they did not ask me for anything else. 

Also, this was the only school I supplemented.  When I received my acceptances (even to Baylor), they did not ask for documentation.

My incident was about 7 years ago and they still had record. But you may have to go to the actual courthouse where it was filed.

Hope this helps... Keep me posted.

Dreamin192

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 09:04:07 PM »
When I was 16 and had only had my license for 2 or 3 months I got a speeding ticket and as per state law my provisional license was suspended for 60 days. The wording on some of my applications indicated I needed to disclose that, since my license was suspended, so I did. The problem is there is no court documentation or anything, it was just a speeding ticket. I didn't contest it. Cooley was the only school that wanted the non existent court documents and such so I just withdrew, I didn't really want to go there anyways. If the documents don't exist maybe you can get an official letter saying that.
Whittier Law 2011

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 10:29:17 PM »
If the documents don't exist maybe you can get an official letter saying that.
Yeah, do this. Actually, first, call the school and tell them what you told us (the court didn't have any record of it), but if they balk at taking your word, ask if a letter from the court clerk to that effect would satisfy their requirement.
UVA Law Class of 2011