Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone used an Asus eeePC?  (Read 1432 times)

just ducky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
anyone used an Asus eeePC?
« on: April 19, 2008, 05:01:39 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone has tried out the new Asus eeePC (the super tiny one).  I know it couldn't be a primary computer, but it's awfully attractive to me as a secondary computer for day to day notetaking and stuff. It is so small and lightweight and the price can't be beat.  All the reviews I've read are really positive.  I'm trying to find a place where I could check on out in person.  They sell them at Best Buy, but so far none of the Best Buys near me have any in stock. Anybody else considering one of these?
Georgetown University Law Center '11

In: Maryland, GW, Northwestern, GULC, Penn, NYU
Out:
WL: Columbia
WL, rejected: Michigan
Pending:

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: anyone used an Asus eeePC?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 08:50:48 PM »
I know someone who just got one for note-taking, and is pretty pleased with it. Definitely not something you want as a main computer, but sufficient if you want a tiny glorified word processor.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 10:48:16 PM »
hmm... Totally unfamiliar with this machine, but it's compatible with XP which one of my schools requires if the student intends to take exams via computer.
That's appealing because I bought a laptop ~8 months ago (Vista) and am not keen on buying a whole new one to take a step back with XP and a FLOPPY DRIVE just because this school can't get with the program. Floppy drive!! WTF?!

Not that these ASUSs have floppy drives. This isn't 1999 after all...

Whoa, which school is that? Now I have to go and check my schools policies.  What a PITA.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 10:56:57 PM »
Phew! Was this info on Houston's website?

OldFart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 07:20:54 PM »
I have an Eee.  I would NOT repeat NOT repeat NOT consider it as a laptop for note-taking or, even worse, exam-taking.  It's a great little gadget, but the tiny and poor-quality keyboard means that you will have to carry a separate USB keyboard around for any real work.  The built-in keyboard is simply too small to type on, and the keys don't respond very well (i.e., you press a key, nothing happens.  You push it hard, and the computer gets the idea that you really, really meant to type something, and puts in two characters.)

The other problem is that the extremely tiny screen (800x480) is simply too small for most needs.

They are coming out with a larger version (nine inch screen, I think it's 1024x600) which MIGHT address these issues, since the keyboard will also be larger.  Even so, if the keyboard is as of poor a quality as on the 701 models, you still might need to carry a separate real keyboard around.

hs1046

• 163, 3.82
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 09:27:45 PM »
hmm... Totally unfamiliar with this machine, but it's compatible with XP which one of my schools requires if the student intends to take exams via computer.
That's appealing because I bought a laptop ~8 months ago (Vista) and am not keen on buying a whole new one to take a step back with XP and a FLOPPY DRIVE just because this school can't get with the program. Floppy drive!! WTF?!

Not that these ASUSs have floppy drives. This isn't 1999 after all...

I'll most likely end up at Houston as well.  I, too, bought a laptop about a year ago with Vista and, of course, no floppy drive.  I'm considering trying to sell my laptop and switching to a mac, especially if Vista isn't going to work with their network.

Steve Jones

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dir of Admissions, Florida Coastal School of Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 10:58:10 PM »
No, but I used some KY on my Anus once and went, "Eeeee!"
We have many people from your state that attend our school!

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 02:27:58 AM »
On floppy drives:

One can buy an external usb floppy drive at best buy for $39.99.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6307436&st=usb+floppy+drive&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1074787976171

Uptown *2*L

• Sr. Citizen
  • I speak softly and carry a big stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 12:10:15 PM »
I have an eee PC and used it for the last half of this semester to take notes in class. My views:

1) Don't take notes on a laptop in law school. I used a laptop this semester and pen-and-paper last semester. You don't need to stenograph everything your prof says anyway, and taking notes by hand will force you to ferret out the important bits as you go.

2) The eee PC is therefore a great thing to have to carry around law school. Perfect for e-mail, web browsing, etc. between classes. When I used it this semester to take notes in class, it worked fine -- but the keyboard is a little small, and OpenOffice can be really frustrating if you haven't used it before.

3) The eee PC cannot be your primary computer. Nor could it even be your primary laptop, because you'll certainly want something larger to take exams on.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 01:45:09 PM »
I have tried the EEPC. Unless your hands are those of a 5 year old, the keyboard is too small for real typing. Hauling a keyboard around negates the weight/size savings.

One can buy an external usb floppy drive at best buy for $39.99. 

Try Newegg.com: 20 Bucks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827711009

Don't take notes on a laptop in law school. I used a laptop this semester and pen-and-paper last semester. You don't need to stenograph everything your prof says anyway, and taking notes by hand will force you to ferret out the important bits as you go.

I found typed notes very helpful in putting together outlines since they are searchable.

I'm considering trying to sell my laptop and switching to a mac, especially if Vista isn't going to work with their network.

That's silly. Get a copy of windows and "downgrade" it if they won't allow Vista on the network. Much cheaper.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?