Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Two-year JDs for foreign-trained lawyers  (Read 1308 times)

Maclock

• View Profile
Two-year JDs for foreign-trained lawyers
« on: April 19, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »
Which American law schools offer two-year JDs for foreign-trained lawyers? 

Last I knew, Northwestern, Kansas, Rutgers and Miami all had formal two-year JD programs for foreign-trained lawyers.  Are there other such formal programs being offered right now?

Best,
Maclock

Maclock

• View Profile
Re: Two-year JDs for foreign-trained lawyers
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 04:02:39 PM »
Oh, and Boston University.

Maclock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 04:28:33 PM »
Stetson, too, apparently.

Any in Texas?  Houston will decide on transfer credits after one has completed a full year of study in the JD program, but that sucks if you've already trained at a reputable school in the common law world and you have to repeat all of those distasteful first-year courses before a decision is made about what courses you might have to take to graduate....

Maclock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 04:40:22 PM »
Add Notre Dame, Colorado, GWU, and Loyola (LA) to the list.  I believe that these schools will allow advance standing for LLB-holders.

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 05:28:58 PM »
Hm.  I thought this was what LLMs were for?

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 06:15:51 PM »
Oh.  Had no idea.

Maclock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 08:54:52 PM »
Add Notre Dame, Colorado, GWU, and Loyola (LA) to the list.  I believe that these schools will allow advance standing for LLB-holders.

Weel, its not advaced standing as you still have to do the first year courses like all 1L's, its just they give you 30 credits as already taken electives becuase of your previous degree. I think most law schools do this actually.

Perhaps Kansas is the only law school that will allow common law-trained lawyers to skip most of the first-year courses, then.  Property, contracts, torts, criminal, legal writing (or derivatives thereof)...bletch!  I think Kansas only obliges common law-trained two-year JD candidates to take American constitutional law and American civil procedure rather than all of the foregoing.  Once you have taken these two courses, it's elective time!  Far preferred to repeating one's learning of the basics of the common law system.

Sigh...Kansas is a solid school.  I wish it were more highly-ranked.