Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Chicago Class of 2011  (Read 98320 times)

seatochitown

• View Profile
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2011
« Reply #880 on: January 20, 2009, 09:52:48 AM »
What are the cutoffs for the higher-end firms? Is it all pseudo-secret, or was that something you could have found out easily before the interview/bidding process?

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 20, 2009, 10:06:48 AM »
Career Services will eventually give you a sheet that tells you the lowest GPA for a student the firm called back and the highest GPA for a student the firm called back. The sheet spans the last 3 years I believe. It doesn't include all firms, but it does include most of them.

Its not bad, but its not quite as useful as the one they handed out a couple years ago, which included the lowest, highest, AND the median. Including the median is pretty helpful. Talk to 2Ls or 3Ls and you'll be able to get copies of the list from previous years (or PM me and I can send it).

This doesn't necessarily tell you if a firm has a hard GPA cut-off (or other hard requirements), but it does give you a general idea of your chances grade-wise.

And I'm not sure about hard cut-offs anyway. According to someone at Career Services, one firm supposedly had a non-GPA-based requirement that I didn't meet, yet they still called me back (although I didn't get an offer).
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #882 on: January 20, 2009, 10:23:22 AM »
Agreed, the GPA sheets from a couple of years ago that showed the median are A LOT more helpful than what they pass out now. But honestly, next year's hiring is likely to be very different than it was in 2004, 5, 6, or even 7,  so the only data that will likely matter is 2008 IMO.
U of C 2010

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #883 on: January 20, 2009, 05:04:36 PM »
i got a lot of comments on my law school musical experience. i don't think they helped or hurt me, but at least it gave us something to talk about. one dumb interviewer actually asked me to sing (yes, i did) and i DIDN'T EVEN GET A CALLBACK. i think that was more my gpa than my beautiful brief rendition of "don't cry for me, argentina". but i totally agree that putting something vague and general on your resume is unhelpful.

i think the firm cut-offs sheet is extremely helpful. i tried to avoid firms with a 179/180+ 25th percentile because i knew i was out of that range. but there's definitely some fudging; some firms will say on symplicity that they want a minimum gpa of 179, yet when you look at their median callbacks, it's 177.5 or something. so there is some wiggle room.

my favorite was sonnenschein "preferred" top 75% in the class. my kind of law firm. 

MP

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: January 21, 2009, 06:31:10 AM »
If you're going to do an interests, make them weird.  seriously.

I used to be a philosophy major, and put metaphysics down as an interest...got asked about it at least once per callback this year, and at pretty much all my interviews as a 1L (of course, the downside was they wanted me to TALK about it...one callback interviewer grilled me on paradoxes for 30 minutes AND I didn't get an offer...jerk).  Let's not talk about the interest once people find out a hobby is collecting Japanese swords... ;)

MP

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: January 21, 2009, 06:33:43 AM »
Oh anyone looking for a sublet this summer?  I live in Regents AND have real furniture (and a new 42" plasma).  If interested, please let me know  :)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 21, 2009, 10:16:04 AM »
Oh anyone looking for a sublet this summer?  I live in Regents AND have real furniture (and a new 42" plasma).  If interested, please let me know  :)

I will *probably* be looking for a sublet, and that sounds like a good offer.  Could you remind me around March?

As of today, I want to work in the clinics, or, if that doesn't pan out, RA.  But I definitely want to R&R in Hyde Park this summer.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 21, 2009, 02:04:52 PM »
The few clinical people I know like their jobs.  Moreover, they give you great talking points for future employment, I heard.

I haven't seen much of you this quarter.  What's up?  How did you like the race/notice/race-notice/shelter rule/bona fide purchaser hypotheticals in Fennell?

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 21, 2009, 07:54:11 PM »
I haven't seen much of you this quarter.  What's up?  How did you like the race/notice/race-notice/shelter rule/bona fide purchaser hypotheticals in Fennell?

Yeah I've been trying to steamroll through work while I'm at school, so I don't spend as much time in the Green Lounge.

I thought it was reasonably interesting. Kinda straightforward. I'm still a little confused about what constitutes a BFP (I would have guessed that the guy who convinced the seller that the house was haunted in order to buy it for $500 would not be, since that reeks of bad faith) but all will come in time. How's your quarter going?

I think BFP simply presents consideration.  Some courts require a substantial amount, while others try to avoid anything grossly inadequate.  I think it's a rebuttable presumption even if they merely present $1.

You're right: that hypo was confusing, but $500 still trumps any donees in terms of title rights, and that makes sense.

My quarter is okay.  I feel much less social than last quarter.  New Grad has split into cliques, so I see only two or three people on a regular basis now.

How do you like Levmore?

Rainmaker614

« Reply #889 on: January 21, 2009, 08:54:01 PM »
Do any of you 1L's have anything to say about the "hold" process? I was just put on hold and I am head over heels for the school (it is also a huge reach for me, so I'm happy to even get the hold). Did they do this last year? Do many people get accepted off the "hold" list? What exactly is it?

Thanks!