Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Chicago Class of 2011  (Read 99082 times)

ulpian246

• View Profile
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2011
« Reply #870 on: January 18, 2009, 09:17:03 PM »
Impossible.  IN THIS ECONOMY, high Elements grades are essential.
Please don't turn this site into XOXOXO/Above the Law  :(

I feel really stupid for asking about this, but can somebody post up an explanation of the grades again?  I get the whole, 177+ = good/177- = bad, or something like that, but I remember seeing some really awesome explanations of what it all means back in the day.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #871 on: January 18, 2009, 09:37:13 PM »
Impossible.  IN THIS ECONOMY, high Elements grades are essential.
Please don't turn this site into XOXOXO/Above the Law  :(

I feel really stupid for asking about this, but can somebody post up an explanation of the grades again?  I get the whole, 177+ = good/177- = bad, or something like that, but I remember seeing some really awesome explanations of what it all means back in the day.

How's this (via Wikipedia):

The Law School employs a unique grading system with a range from 155 to 186. These numerical grades convert to the more familiar alphabetical scale as follows: 155-159 = F, 160-167 = D, 168-173 = C, 174-179 = B, 180-186 = A. For classes of more than 50 students, the median grade is 177, and the number of As should approximately equal the number of Cs.

A student graduates "with honors" if a final average of 179 is attained, "with high honors" if a final average of 180.5 is attained, and "with highest honors" if a final average of 182 is attained. The last of these achievements is rare; typically only one student every few years will attain the requisite 182 average.
U of C 2010

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #872 on: January 18, 2009, 09:40:08 PM »
damn it, i just typed all that out but your answer was much more succinct.

i heard a rumor that gersen, who just graduated in 2004, had the highest GPA average in the history of the law school. i wonder what that was......

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #873 on: January 18, 2009, 09:50:18 PM »

i heard a rumor that gersen, who just graduated in 2004, had the highest GPA average in the history of the law school. i wonder what that was......

true or not, that's a cool rumor.
U of C 2010

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: January 18, 2009, 09:54:09 PM »
That seems

I heard that rumor as well, but I can't see how that could be.

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/faculty/gersen/cv.html

It says he only graduated with High Honors, not Highest Honors. Or maybe his CV on there is wrong...? But that seems unlikely.

Further bit of random grade-related trivia: back in 1973, Judge Easterbrook graduated 3rd in his class and Judge Ginsburg graduated 2nd in his class. So who was first in the class that year? I can't remember.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #875 on: January 18, 2009, 10:00:35 PM »
That seems

It says he only graduated with High Honors, not Highest Honors. Or maybe his CV on there is wrong...? But that seems unlikely.

Further bit of random grade-related trivia: back in 1973, Judge Easterbrook graduated 3rd in his class and Judge Ginsburg graduated 2nd in his class. So who was first in the class that year? I can't remember.

1973 was a helluva year for the Law School. Also graduating was this guy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_M._Rubenstein - who went on to found the Carlyle Group. I'm not sure if he was #1, but definitely a powerhouse year.
U of C 2010

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #876 on: January 18, 2009, 10:02:54 PM »
That seems

damn it, i even downloaded the pdf of his CV in case they mistyped it. he does have a cool font though. i forgot to check if he had an "other skills" section like they tell you to add 1L year: LIKES JUGGLING. ENJOYS LONG BIKES RIDES ALONG THE LAKE.

SplorkyFish

• U Chicago 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 18, 2009, 10:25:13 PM »
That seems

Do we introduce ourselves on this board?  If so, hi guys.  I'm a 1L here.

The way I heard it, Gersen's GPA was so high that he was the only professor we've hired recently who didn't have a PhD in another discipline. Oh, hyperbole.  But I guess the CV says he has a PhD in Poli Sci. 

PS. the IN THIS ECONOMY line was meant at a dig on XOXO.  I'll be the last person to turn LSD into that.  Not that I've spent much time there, but it's just a very nauseating place.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: January 19, 2009, 10:36:09 PM »
WHOAWHOAWHOA. Hold up a sec. My resume has both of those things on it. Am I screwed?  ???

Of course not. Law firms love jugglers.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: January 20, 2009, 06:37:36 AM »
LOL.

I think the take-away lesson might also be to avoid lame interest sections, if you include one.  When I was a recruiter, my eyes would glaze over each time I saw "traveling" as an interest.  Yeah, real original.  You like to travel!

Did the last interviewer ding you?  More interestingly, did the ranting guy offer a callback?