Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Chicago Class of 2011  (Read 97172 times)

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2011
« Reply #250 on: July 18, 2008, 02:42:14 AM »
Is anyone else mildly disturbed that a lot of the profs we've heard last years 1L's rave about are going to be elsewhere next year?  I wonder if its going to be for full years or just semesters...

http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leiter/2008/07/visiting-profes.html

I know Samaha and Gersen were listed as visiting for the full year on one of the other blogs.  The one I'm really interested to know about is Lior.

In any case, the 1L prof layout is going to look quite a bit different next year.  Potentially no Gersen, Sunstein, Samaha, E. Pos, Lior, or Cox?  Wow.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 18, 2008, 07:48:41 AM »
Is anyone else mildly disturbed that a lot of the profs we've heard last years 1L's rave about are going to be elsewhere next year?  I wonder if its going to be for full years or just semesters...

http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leiter/2008/07/visiting-profes.html

I know Samaha and Gersen were listed as visiting for the full year on one of the other blogs.  The one I'm really interested to know about is Lior.

In any case, the 1L prof layout is going to look quite a bit different next year.  Potentially no Gersen, Sunstein, Samaha, E. Pos, Lior, or Cox?  Wow.

Well, apparently they've decided on an Elements replacement (someone mentioned it was one of the new hires, Rosalind Dixon), but I wonder who they're going to use for the other courses.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

JusAbstinendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 18, 2008, 08:02:35 AM »
This is depressing.
University of Chicago '11

deathandtaxes

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 18, 2008, 10:20:49 AM »
As far as I know, Gersen will be gone only in the Spring; stands to reason that the others might be in Chicago for certain quarters.

JusAbstinendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 18, 2008, 11:06:22 AM »
As far as I know, Gersen will be gone only in the Spring; stands to reason that the others might be in Chicago for certain quarters.

Any idea how we might confirm which semesters each professor will be visiting elsewhere? I thought about calling the law school, but I don't know whether that's frowned upon for this particular issue..

deathandtaxes

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 18, 2008, 11:22:38 AM »
Any idea how we might confirm which semesters each professor will be visiting elsewhere? I thought about calling the law school, but I don't know whether that's frowned upon for this particular issue..

I don't see why they would really mind; you could email Richardson.  Leiter also modified his post:

UPDATE (5:30 pm July 16):  Just to be clear--since several folks have e-mailed about this--not every visit, below, is for the entire academic year; indeed, my guess is at least half are not, meaning students can expect many of these faculty to *also* be teaching at their home institution.  In the case of HLS, many of the visitors come in the Winter Term, i.e., just the month of January.

Or you could look at the schools' visiting appointments, although they are not completely clear:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/visiting (Gersen - Spring)
http://www.law.yale.edu/faculty/faculty.htm (Strahilevitz - Fall)

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #256 on: July 18, 2008, 02:21:39 PM »
Here's the original blog post that had the stuff with Gersen and Samaha being gone for a full year.  Guess some of this guy's info wasn't correct:

http://www.thefacultylounge.org/2008/04/law-school-vi-1.html

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 18, 2008, 03:14:13 PM »
If Strahi is only at Yale for the fall, he could still be teaching 1L Property next year (if they move it to Winter/Spring). Thats good. And Gersen could still teach his half of 1L torts if they move that to Fall/Winter to replace Property.

Hooray optimism!

And yes, I'm sure you incoming students can email Dean Richardson to ask. We current students may be a little tentative on doing that, for fear that she'll LawAnnounce our email, but the incoming 1Ls don't really have to worry about that.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #258 on: July 18, 2008, 03:30:52 PM »
My 1L year, Fall/Winter was Torts & Contracts and Winter/Spring was Property & Crim.  So that would work fine.

I guess Harcourt will be coming back, so the 1Ls might be treated to him.  Could be an improvement over Etienne though.

JusAbstinendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 18, 2008, 04:38:06 PM »
We current students may be a little tentative on doing that, for fear that she'll LawAnnounce our email.

Oh, you're funny.

I think I will e-mail Richardson, though, just to hear from an official--and I hope more specific--source.