Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Chicago Class of 2011  (Read 98039 times)

MP

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2L
    • View Profile
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2011
« Reply #240 on: July 05, 2008, 12:38:33 PM »
Speaking of financial matters...

I am likely ending business with my current bank. What are some good banking options in Hyde Park?

I'm going to open a student checking account at citibank.  They offer unlimited ATM and decent perks, so that should keep me happy.

Must you open an account on campus to have those perks?

I tried opening an account online just now, but they didn't offer anything. Then I called, and I was told that local branches offer local deals. He transferred me to the campus bank, but no one picked up the phone...he never gave me the number, either. Grr.

As far as I know, you have to go to the campus branch next to the bookstore (58th and Ellis) to get the student checking perks.  I actually did open an account online and had a lot of trouble closing it and getting a new student one

JusAbstinendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 05, 2008, 12:53:20 PM »
Doh...I forgot Saturday has short banking hours. I'll call the campus branch Monday.

As far as I know, you have to go to the campus branch next to the bookstore (58th and Ellis) to get the student checking perks.  I actually did open an account online and had a lot of trouble closing it and getting a new student one

If you can wait until orientation, Citibank has a table set up around that time where you can apply easily for these accounts.

I could wait, but I'd rather not; I want to close my MI bank account and transfer my funds to Citibank before moving to Chicago.
University of Chicago '11

MP

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 05, 2008, 02:51:50 PM »
You guys will feel much better when you start school, and people ask (sometimes randomly on the bus, lol) and you get the "wow, that is such a great school" response, or in interviews for 1L or 2L, you get the "well, uchicago's name speaks for itself- I guess we really don't need to talk about academic success" response :) (and i've gotten both before)

of course, then you go back home and STILL get the "is that a state school?" or "are you conservative?" reactions :P

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 05, 2008, 03:07:06 PM »
I like to say that its a city school (like the CUNYs) and that I'm left of the political views of my professors and classmates.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

ulpian246

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 10, 2008, 01:56:35 PM »
*Bump*

Also, from my limited experiences with my U of Chicago sweatshirt thus far, I get "congratulations" from professors or any of my other friends applying to grad schools, and "So that means you didn't get into Michigan or Wayne State?" from everyone else at home.

JusAbstinendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 11, 2008, 09:54:55 AM »
*Bump*

Also, from my limited experiences with my U of Chicago sweatshirt thus far, I get "congratulations" from professors or any of my other friends applying to grad schools, and "So that means you didn't get into Michigan or Wayne State?" from everyone else at home.

Hahaha, so true...and, you know, I don't even try to explain it to them.

Bathing Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 13, 2008, 12:35:51 PM »
*Bump*

Hahaha, so true...and, you know, I don't even try to explain it to them.

To be fair, there are a TON of people in Chicago who don't know the difference between University of Chicago and University of Illinois-Chicago.  No disrespect to UIC, but there's quite a difference there...

oscist

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - oscist
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oscist
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 14, 2008, 11:00:15 AM »
this thread has exploded since i've been away

JusAbstinendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 18, 2008, 12:19:50 AM »
The eagle has landed: Operation Chicago Move-In complete.

Plus bump.

ulpian246

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 18, 2008, 01:57:47 AM »
Is anyone else mildly disturbed that a lot of the profs we've heard last years 1L's rave about are going to be elsewhere next year?  I wonder if its going to be for full years or just semesters...

http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leiter/2008/07/visiting-profes.html