Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Chicago Class of 2011  (Read 98478 times)

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2011
« Reply #900 on: February 09, 2009, 03:50:05 PM »
omg at "posner answers the feminists" today. who wanted to hug posner/hit him in the face with a pie? (i'm in the latter group.)

What wasn't to like about Posner? He shot down an entire critical perspective in under 10 seconds. Oh yeah, maybe thats what not like about him. Whatever, good laugh.

i really enjoyed his "WE HAVE BIGGER THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT THAN YOUR MAIN FIELD OF STUDY, PROFESSOR CASE". yes, we all make fun of case for her obsession with unisex bathrooms. but....that's now my favorite argument. why do i skip class? WE HAVE BIGGER THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT, LIKE THE WAR ON TERROR.

i have case for sex discrimination and we spent virtually the entire next class discussing the debate. she's seriously a class act and was trying to defend posner when all of us were insulting him. (i should point out that my problem with his performance was that he's incredibly smart, yet didn't seem to even try to address any of nussbaum or cases' arguments. he was clearly unprepared and didn't even make an attempt to answer their questions.)

yes, i am a feminist, in case that wasn't abundantly clear.

on to bigger and better things. the musical is a week from friday and is going to be awesome. for the 1Ls here, there is unlimited beer and pizza on friday for the price of a ticket (somewhere between $15-20), as well as a pit band, students dancing and singing (for the most part, in a cute yet amateur fashion), and a special faculty cameo somewhere in the show. i have no idea who it will be. my 1L year it was professor cox, but last year it was gersen and miles.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: February 09, 2009, 06:37:06 PM »
on to bigger and better things. the musical is a week from friday and is going to be awesome. for the 1Ls here, there is unlimited beer and pizza on friday for the price of a ticket (somewhere between $15-20), as well as a pit band, students dancing and singing (for the most part, in a cute yet amateur fashion), and a special faculty cameo somewhere in the show. i have no idea who it will be. my 1L year it was professor cox, but last year it was gersen and miles.

Also, sometimes complete strangers pour beer all over you and you get to go to a sketchy hot dog place with David Lat. So there's that.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

finderskeepers

• View Profile
« Reply #902 on: February 09, 2009, 06:43:34 PM »
Dude.  I didn't even read any cases that had dissents.  I've heard lots of people talking about it though.  Problem?

SplorkyFish

• U Chicago 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: February 09, 2009, 06:54:45 PM »
Posted today at 2:22:24 AM
Posted today at 2:23:09 AM

Splorky is an unapologetic Wally alias. :P

::).
Out of curiosity, what would make me an apologetic Wally alias?

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #904 on: February 09, 2009, 09:21:14 PM »

Also, sometimes complete strangers pour beer all over you and you get to go to a sketchy hot dog place with David Lat. So there's that.

the beer spilling is pretty standard but i was definitely performing for david lat last year.

seatochitown

• View Profile
« Reply #905 on: February 09, 2009, 11:03:05 PM »
i didn't cite no dissents. i did cite a marginally relevant supreme court case, though, just for kicks.

come to the musical! it's funny. or it will be funny, if you're drinking beer.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: February 10, 2009, 02:45:55 AM »

the beer spilling is pretty standard but i was definitely performing for david lat last year.

spilling =/= pouring

But seriously folks, go to the musical. Its fun.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."