Law School Discussion

University of Chicago Class of 2011

nerfco

• U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2011
« Reply #890 on: January 21, 2009, 07:50:27 PM »
My quarter is okay.  I feel much less social than last quarter.  New Grad has split into cliques, so I see only two or three people on a regular basis now.

Really? Lasy year New Grad seemed to be one big happy family, for the most part. Also, a lot of different people seemed to study together in the study rooms, both 1Ls and non-law students. Not the case this year?

(Note: I didn't live in New Grad.)

« Reply #891 on: January 21, 2009, 11:05:22 PM »
My quarter is okay.  I feel much less social than last quarter.  New Grad has split into cliques, so I see only two or three people on a regular basis now.

Really? Lasy year New Grad seemed to be one big happy family, for the most part. Also, a lot of different people seemed to study together in the study rooms, both 1Ls and non-law students. Not the case this year?

(Note: I didn't live in New Grad.)

I talked to a New Grad 2L who shall remain anonymous unless you PM me, and he said that New Grad was so cool last year, Regents people actually commuted south to hang out in New Grad.  He said they set up video games in the big TV room and played Halo on massive screens, with multiple controllers.

I was speechless.  I'm still speechless.  I guess that different years produce different people, because an alum told me that New Grad was the "gunner" dorm, and it's certainly lived up to that reputation this year.  Regents, however, . . .  :P

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #892 on: January 22, 2009, 01:30:45 PM »
Do any of you 1L's have anything to say about the "hold" process? I was just put on hold and I am head over heels for the school (it is also a huge reach for me, so I'm happy to even get the hold). Did they do this last year? Do many people get accepted off the "hold" list? What exactly is it?

Thanks!

i'll take a stab at this, but i may be wrong.

a hold probably means that they want to see how the rest of the class shapes up before they reconsider your application (so probably better than a waitlist). it's also an opportunity for you to send in more letters of recommendation, improved grades, whatever you can do to make yourself more appealing (also a targeted letter saying how much you love the school and naming specific reasons you would come here, i.e. a particular professor, a clinic, etc.).

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #893 on: January 26, 2009, 07:29:52 PM »
omg at "posner answers the feminists" today. who wanted to hug posner/hit him in the face with a pie? (i'm in the latter group.)

« Reply #894 on: February 07, 2009, 12:34:32 PM »
omg at "posner answers the feminists" today. who wanted to hug posner/hit him in the face with a pie? (i'm in the latter group.)

What wasn't to like about Posner? He shot down an entire critical perspective in under 10 seconds. Oh yeah, maybe thats what not like about him. Whatever, good laugh.

« Reply #895 on: February 08, 2009, 07:52:05 AM »

What wasn't to like about Posner? He shot down an entire critical perspective in under 10 seconds. Oh yeah, maybe thats what not like about him. Whatever, good laugh.

Um, maybe how his argument was composed entirely of one long hot blast of condescension? There was no "shooting down." There was concession and avoidance.

Seriously, what does Posner think the liberal arts professors across the Midway do? Build a more pragmatic world through every journal article? His notion that smart people shouldn't be writing about toilets because there are more important things in the world is just ridiculous. (OK, yeah, I did a stint in humanities grad school.) I mean, toilets exist! We use them every day. Anyway. Posner is almost always interesting, but this was a sorry showing.

« Reply #896 on: February 08, 2009, 12:41:08 PM »
I'm done!!!   :D

SplorkyFish

• U Chicago 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: February 08, 2009, 11:22:24 PM »
I'm done!!!   :D

Dude, you forgot to cite the dissent.

« Reply #898 on: February 08, 2009, 11:23:09 PM »
OMG . . . you're right!!!  I forgot to cite the dissent.   :o

« Reply #899 on: February 09, 2009, 12:53:33 PM »
Splorky is actually not me, though I know who he is.

Who are finderkeepers and seatochitown?  That's more interesting.  And I'm sick of all the lurkers coming up to me and asking whether I post on this forum.  (I'm looking at you, tall guy in section B.)