Law School Discussion

University of Chicago Class of 2011

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2011
« Reply #860 on: January 15, 2009, 08:59:05 PM »
I didn't have Dixon, but everyone who did (i.e., the other half of the 1L class, first quarter) said that she gave WAY WAY too much work.  I would have avoid her if I were you.

On the other hand, if you want to be challenged and meet an interesting, law-spoony new faculty member, then go for it.

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #861 on: January 15, 2009, 11:49:17 PM »
You guys are lucky.  We don't have ANY grades up yet.  I'm also unaware of any "soon to be released" rumors.

I'm dying over here from stress.

« Reply #862 on: January 16, 2009, 12:15:10 AM »
You guys are lucky.  We don't have ANY grades up yet.  I'm also unaware of any "soon to be released" rumors.

I'm dying over here from stress.

ditto here...i got nada still.  but i'm trying to enjoy this feeling of blissful ignorance for as long as it lasts.

« Reply #863 on: January 16, 2009, 08:23:27 AM »
Bosco: would you suggest talking to professors about RAships now?  Or wait till May?  I also submitted some stuff to the clinics.

« Reply #864 on: January 16, 2009, 11:26:48 AM »
Elements grade was more of a bummer.  (Not terrible, but not great.)  Ah, well.  Darn you, Strauss, and your philosophical introduction to law school, and your "easy" (but I think very difficult in curve terms) test that, according to older students, inversely correlates with other grades.

Does anyone agree that Elements isn't that great of a bellweather for the rest of law school?  I'm pretty disappointed.  Should I be?

nerfco

• U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: January 16, 2009, 03:14:09 PM »
Does anyone agree that Elements isn't that great of a bellweather for the rest of law school?  I'm pretty disappointed.  Should I be?

My Elements grade was closer to my 1L GPA than my CivPro 1 grade was. I had Sunstein though. I think neither is a good bellweather.

As for whether you should be disappointed--probably not.

« Reply #866 on: January 16, 2009, 03:20:02 PM »
Elements grade was more of a bummer.  (Not terrible, but not great.)  Ah, well.  Darn you, Strauss, and your philosophical introduction to law school, and your "easy" (but I think very difficult in curve terms) test that, according to older students, inversely correlates with other grades.

at least you've got a good one to balance it out, right?

« Reply #867 on: January 16, 2009, 06:10:11 PM »
bosco--

I had Dixon for Elements and indeed, she assigned far more reading than Strauss did, but on the other hand, our class tends to know what other professors are talking about (e.g., alienability, screening, Papachristou--did Strauss do any of that?) when Strauss's class is left in the dark. So I'm glad I had her. And I think her exam was less perverse than Strauss's. I mean, it was more perverse--the required essay was on prostitution--but it didn't require students to read her mind in the way Strauss's always seem to. I also understand Dixon heard the too-much-reading message loud and clear and will be modifying future courses accordingly.

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #868 on: January 17, 2009, 03:04:28 PM »

My Elements grade was closer to my 1L GPA than my CivPro 1 grade was. I had Sunstein though. I think neither is a good bellweather.

As for whether you should be disappointed--probably not.

Yeah I never really bought into the inverse correlation elements thing.  I'm sure you can find anecdotal evidence on either side though.  And I think people on this site (clairel maybe?) have said they did much better the rest of the year compared to Elements.  I wouldn't get too discouraged.  It's only 7.5% of your grade, and hopefully you can learn from it.  Plus, I'm sure you're doing fine overall.

i didn't do very well in either civ pro or elements (though slightly better in elements), but my grades were much higher the rest of the year (my lowest grade was civ pro and my highest was civ pro II. so i'm apparently not just a dunce at civ pro...). i don't know if it was just adjusting to exam administration or changing my studying techniques;  the rest of my grades weren't awesome, but my average probably went up like 2 points over the course of the year. conversely, other people's grades went down over the year, maybe from burnout or just from random professors having weird test-taking styles...in my 2.3333 years here, i've gotten grades that i thought were undeserved (both on the low and high end) just because i got lucky on some questions and some questions just didn't make much sense to me. i think, in the end, the undeserved grades have sort of evened out to a gpa i probably deserve.

and as strauss always says, no employer understands what "elements of the law" is. my interviewers basically just scanned my transcript to see basic patterns compared with other students. and for 1L jobs, grades didn't help or hurt me much. so i wouldn't worry until you get your next grades...then see if you have an upward or at least steady pattern; if not there are always academic counselors/upperclassmen who have amazing outlines. i know someone named ryan dunn (a 3L when i was a 1L) had an amazing contracts outline that i no longer have, which probably single-handedly saved me from disaster in that class. it may still be circulating somewhere...

SplorkyFish

• U Chicago 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: January 17, 2009, 04:14:06 PM »

and as strauss always says, no employer understands what "elements of the law" is. my interviewers basically just scanned my transcript to see basic patterns compared with other students. and for 1L jobs, grades didn't help or hurt me much. so i wouldn't worry until you get your next grades...

Impossible.  IN THIS ECONOMY, high Elements grades are essential.