Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Chicago Class of 2011  (Read 98905 times)

justjoined

• View Profile
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2011
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2008, 06:57:37 PM »
Pretty sure I'm headed there as well!

Bathing Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2008, 01:19:09 PM »
Also missing from the restaurant list: Piccolo Mondo, a pretty good, cheap italian place across the street from SB.

I've only been there once, but it was surprisingly good. BYOB too, I think.

Also: Original Pancake House. Never been yet, but a lot of people seem to like it.

I ate there today, actually.  I've been there several times and have really liked it - their strawberry pancakes are awesome, as well as their hash browns. 

For sushi, I definitely recommend going out of HP.  I've tried Kikuya once and that place should not even be called a sushi place.  I have higher standards for sushi than that :P  I like Kamehachi in Old Town and Sushi Mura in Lakeview, and I'm still trying out new places. 

Not sure how I missed the sushi talk.  The place that I hit the most up here on the North Side is House of Sushi.  It's all you can eat for $15 and has really good sushi (if you order off of the menu, the rolls are $8-12 a piece, which is what I would expect at a restaurant of similar quality).  Be warned that they have a fee if you don't clear your plate, though.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2008, 06:32:51 PM »
i actually don't mind kikuya sushi here in hyde park, given that i am a sushi fanatic, need a local fix, and don't want to drive up north and deal with parking. however, they don't serve sake bombs (or alcohol at all, which i find very weird).

MP

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2008, 01:45:02 AM »
On the sushi note:

I like Kabuki in lincoln park- I was there earlier tonight and it was surprisingly good (I say surprisingly because we were originally planning on going somewhere else and that fell through, so we ended up at Kabuki as a back up).  I was at Sushi Para II the other day as well, and that was ok.  All you can eat for $17, with a fee for leftovers.  Not bad quality, but we were a little greedy and by the end, I really hated sushi (I was stuffed and there were a few more pieces left).  The other great thing about both of these places is that they're on N. Clark, and really close to Molly's Cupcakes, which are amaaaazing. 

ShadWhitmore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2008, 01:32:51 AM »
Hey, has anyone received the travel reimbursement from ASW?

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2008, 01:41:22 AM »

I seem to remember that it took quite a while for my travel reimbursement to arrive from last year's ASW.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2008, 07:43:06 AM »

I seem to remember that it took quite a while for my travel reimbursement to arrive from last year's ASW.

Yeah, think June 1 or so.
U of C 2010

justjoined

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2008, 08:49:30 AM »
So when are people moving to Chicago?

Bathing Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2008, 01:43:24 PM »
So when are people moving to Chicago?

I'm already out here, but I'll be down by the school (if I end up moving south) when my lease runs out at the beginning of July.  It seems like most people I've talked to are only giving themselves a week or so to acclimate to the city before classes start, which seems kind of weird to me.  Even if you're not doing anything major, wouldn't you at least want to get a lay of the land for a couple weeks beforehand? 

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2008, 02:12:01 PM »
I moved to Chicago during the first week of September, and it was nice having some time to settle into the city (not to mention my apartment). A lot easier to do that before orientation starts. Also, if you're living in Regents at least, you'll also get to meet some of your future classmates before orientation starts.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."