Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Chicago Class of 2011  (Read 98548 times)

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2011
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2008, 04:19:40 PM »
Kikuya (Japanese):  Pretty good for a Japanese fix.  I think their dinner entrees are a bit pricy, but it does the job.  Surprisingly good tempura.  I've only had their cooked entrees and rolls, but my roommate eats their sushi regularly and likes it.

Oh God, their sushi is TERRIBLE. You definitely have to leave Hyde Park to find good sushi, although sushi in general isn't really Chicago's strong suit (coming from Vancouver).

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2008, 05:15:10 PM »
Here's a question - how well do your guys' loans cover rent at Regents (or wherever) and other expenses?  Do the loans provided through the law school give you a lot of wiggle room if you take the maximum offered and no more?  I mean, if I could be living in Regents and eating steaks everyday on my loans, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to live there but my assumption was that it would be like undergrad where my loans covered my books and tuition with little to none left over.

Also, are there any venues down south that get decent concerts or am I going to have to trek it all the way up north every time a band I like comes through town?

A note about Mexican food in Chicago - yeah, there's not really any amazing Mexican food up in near North, downtown or on South Side, but if you go to Pilsen you can find some AMAZING stuff.  Personally, I think Chicago is lacking good Chinese food (basically everywhere I've been is awful, especially the Chinatown restaurants I've been to).  Fortunately, I'm more of a thai food guy.

i'm getting some help from my parents, but my loans definitely do not allow me to live it up (though i pretty much do anyway...whoops). then again, i'm trying to get by on perkins and stafford....probably with grad plus you'd be okay? basically, i need more than the projected cost, probably cause i have a ridiculous alcohol tolerance and drink way more than i should (with the corresponding bills to prove it).

i don't know any concert venues around hyde park besides checkerboard lounge if you like blues...i've been there a few times and it's fun.

you are definitely right about the chinese food...nicky's and wok n' roll in hyde park are pretty bad options (though my parents and i went to far east on 53rd st. which was the most horrible chinese food i have ever eaten....fortunately, they have since shut down). and chinatown, at least what i've had there, is disappointing. then again, i'm from california, where you have a good shot at a hole-in-the-wall chinese place being pretty decent.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2008, 06:17:05 PM »
Here's a question - how well do your guys' loans cover rent at Regents (or wherever) and other expenses?  Do the loans provided through the law school give you a lot of wiggle room if you take the maximum offered and no more?  I mean, if I could be living in Regents and eating steaks everyday on my loans, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to live there but my assumption was that it would be like undergrad where my loans covered my books and tuition with little to none left over.

Also, are there any venues down south that get decent concerts or am I going to have to trek it all the way up north every time a band I like comes through town?

A note about Mexican food in Chicago - yeah, there's not really any amazing Mexican food up in near North, downtown or on South Side, but if you go to Pilsen you can find some AMAZING stuff.  Personally, I think Chicago is lacking good Chinese food (basically everywhere I've been is awful, especially the Chinatown restaurants I've been to).  Fortunately, I'm more of a thai food guy.

i'm getting some help from my parents, but my loans definitely do not allow me to live it up (though i pretty much do anyway...whoops). then again, i'm trying to get by on perkins and stafford....probably with grad plus you'd be okay? basically, i need more than the projected cost, probably cause i have a ridiculous alcohol tolerance and drink way more than i should (with the corresponding bills to prove it).

i don't know any concert venues around hyde park besides checkerboard lounge if you like blues...i've been there a few times and it's fun.

you are definitely right about the chinese food...nicky's and wok n' roll in hyde park are pretty bad options (though my parents and i went to far east on 53rd st. which was the most horrible chinese food i have ever eaten....fortunately, they have since shut down). and chinatown, at least what i've had there, is disappointing. then again, i'm from california, where you have a good shot at a hole-in-the-wall chinese place being pretty decent.

If you're only living on stafford/perkins, you're way under budget.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2008, 06:30:20 PM »

If you're only living on stafford/perkins, you're way under budget.

true, but my parents are making up the difference.

MP

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2008, 08:49:09 PM »
Also missing from the restaurant list: Piccolo Mondo, a pretty good, cheap italian place across the street from SB.

I've only been there once, but it was surprisingly good. BYOB too, I think.

Also: Original Pancake House. Never been yet, but a lot of people seem to like it.

I ate there today, actually.  I've been there several times and have really liked it - their strawberry pancakes are awesome, as well as their hash browns. 

For sushi, I definitely recommend going out of HP.  I've tried Kikuya once and that place should not even be called a sushi place.  I have higher standards for sushi than that :P  I like Kamehachi in Old Town and Sushi Mura in Lakeview, and I'm still trying out new places. 

MP

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2008, 08:50:38 PM »
Re: Loans

I took out the max amount and I think it would cover rent/utilities/expenses pretty well.  I have a skewed perspective though because I spend way too much on food (eating out/ordering, etc.).  I think people who have 2BRs with roommates are in better positions though, just because that 300-400 dollars/month they save in rent really adds up.

Hazard

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2008, 03:09:10 AM »
Also missing from the restaurant list: Piccolo Mondo, a pretty good, cheap italian place across the street from SB.

I've only been there once, but it was surprisingly good. BYOB too, I think.

Also: Original Pancake House. Never been yet, but a lot of people seem to like it.

I ate there today, actually.  I've been there several times and have really liked it - their strawberry pancakes are awesome, as well as their hash browns. 

For sushi, I definitely recommend going out of HP.  I've tried Kikuya once and that place should not even be called a sushi place.  I have higher standards for sushi than that :P  I like Kamehachi in Old Town and Sushi Mura in Lakeview, and I'm still trying out new places. 

Everything at Pancake House is amazing. I've had most (if not all) of their less-common menu items, and more than 1/2 their menu. No complaints.
I'm posting constructively.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2008, 10:25:09 AM »

I took out the max amount and I think it would cover rent/utilities/expenses pretty well.  I have a skewed perspective though because I spend way too much on food (eating out/ordering, etc.).  I think people who have 2BRs with roommates are in better positions though, just because that 300-400 dollars/month they save in rent really adds up.

Having a roommate makes the student budget easily livable.  My 1L year, it was actually extravagant, but Regents price increases have cut into my baller lifestyle.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2008, 11:09:42 AM »

Having a roommate makes the student budget easily livable.  My 1L year, it was actually extravagant, but Regents price increases have cut into my baller lifestyle.

I have a wife and a baby and manage on the student budget, without receiving very much more than the single student allotment (and supplementing a little bit from my savings). So yeah, it's totally doable as long as you don't have a big car payment, etc.
U of C 2010

cerise

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2008, 05:15:07 PM »
Just withdrew from all other schools.  I'm going to Chicago!! ;D