Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Chicago Class of 2011  (Read 98547 times)

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2011
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2008, 01:15:11 PM »
What do you usually eat in Hyde Park?  I'm not much of a cook, and I'm woried that the lack of decent fast food will be a problem.

What do you eat for lunch around the LS?

To answer the second question first, I rarely buy lunch around the law school.  I either eat for free at one of the ridiculous number of events hosted ever week (student organizations, Chicago's Best Ideas, alumni roundtables, etc), bring something from home, or grab something from the Plum Cafe.  That being said, a lot of people walk to the Graduate School of
Business where they have a really big cafeteria with lots of good options.  If you have a bit more time, getting to the restaurants on 57th is pretty easy.

Now for Hyde Park Restaurants - I think we have it better than people think.

Cedars (Lebanese):  excellent kubideh kabobs, good lamb dishes, great lentil soup, great apps (falafel, lebnah, etc).  I eat here fairly regularly.  Also good lunch specials (soup, big sandwich and "fries" for $6.50 or so).  They did get rid of their cucumber salad, which I'm really mad about, but you can't win everything.

Dixie Kitchen (homestyle):  I only went here for this first time this quarter and I should have found it sooner.  Yummy johnnycakes when you sit down (and they keep bringing out as many as you want), really good red beans and rice, awesome mashed sweet potatoes, good sandwiches and po' boys.  My mom really liked the whole baby catfish.

Calypso (Caribbean):  I went with my mom for lunch the other day and it was really good.  Her trout was delicious, my jerk chicken was good.  Only "eh" mashed potatoes.  But, their tres leches dessert was heavenly.  Plus really good passion fruit iced tea.

The Snail/Siam/Thai 55:  There are actually 3 Thai restaurants on 55th street and everyone seems to have a preference.  Siam has great lunch specials (soup, entree, and egg roll for $6.25) - I love their yellow curry chicken.  The Snail has the best drunken noodles.

Kikuya (Japanese):  Pretty good for a Japanese fix.  I think their dinner entrees are a bit pricy, but it does the job.  Surprisingly good tempura.  I've only had their cooked entrees and rolls, but my roommate eats their sushi regularly and likes it.

Corea Cafe (Korean):  My Korean roommate really likes this restaurant and says it is very authentic.  I haven't been, but need to get over there.  There is some Chicago foodie website that raves about this place.

Medici (pizza, sandwiches, etc):  Kind of a Hyde Park institution.  Good burgers and sandwiches.

Cafe Florian (kind of like the Med):  I've only been once, but had a delicious tuna melt and Italian soda.  Inexpensive, good service.  Need to head back.  Breakfast menu looks awesome.

Mellow Yellow (breakfast, random food):  a regular breakfast spot for me and bf.  I usually get the (freaking giant) croissant, ham, and eggs.  Really good grits.  Don't get the Swedish pancakes.

Potbelly & Jimmie Johns:  both good for quick sandwiches.  I prefer Potbelly, I think MTG likes JJ's.  But Potbelly has the awesome cookies!

De Rice (Chinese):  They deliver giant giant portions of food for very little money.  I love their steamed dumplings and BBQ pork lo mein.  And great smoothies!

Giordanos and Edwardos (pizza):  Lots of deep dish pizza.  Edwardos gets bad reviews, but I don't get it - I really like their thin crust pizza.  To each his own, I suppose.

Pizza Capri (Italian):  Good and reliable.  I've liked all their pasta dishes that I've tried.  I'm not crazy about their pizza, though, but a friend craves their Thai pizza.

As for "fast food" there is a McDonalds and a Subway and Dominoes.  And a Boston Market.

I also want to mention Park 52, a new Jerry Kleiner restaurant that opened a few weeks ago (he's opened a bunch of places around the city).  It's definitely at a higher price point (good for parents or when you want to impress a date or if you don't mind spending money on food), but the space is gorgeous, the food is quality (and it's just finding its legs), and it is really nice to have something upscale in HP.
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2008, 01:15:43 PM »
By the way, it should be really evident that I don't want to write my brief...

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2008, 01:22:08 PM »
the b school cafeteria is kind of amazing. their salad bar has everything you could ever possibly want to put in a salad, plus lots of things you probably don't. plus they take credit cards, which is something crappy about plum cafe at the law school.

also, sillyberry forgot LEONA'S, which is your standard chili's/marie callendar's equivalent. they have amazing chicken sandwiches, pasta, salad and lots of alcoholic choices.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2008, 01:42:27 PM »
As you can see from sb's list, the only thing really lacking in Hyde Park is a good Mexican place (there is Maravillas, but, well, no).

I also like Nile (Middle Eastern). A lot of people seem to love Salonica... but I'm not a huge fan. Its right next to Caffe Florian, so I don't understand why people would choose it (I really like Caffe Florian- and their breakfast menu is really good).

sb also forgot about Ribs n' Bibs and Harold's. Inexcusable.

But overall, yeah, lots of options.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2008, 01:53:09 PM »
As you can see from sb's list, the only thing really lacking in Hyde Park is a good Mexican place (there is Maravillas, but, well, no).

I also like Nile (Middle Eastern). A lot of people seem to love Salonica... but I'm not a huge fan. Its right next to Caffe Florian, so I don't understand why people would choose it (I really like Caffe Florian- and their breakfast menu is really good).

I like everything about the Nile but their rice, and that a deal breaker for me.  Which is a bummer, because it is sooo close to me.  I was "eh" on Ribs n' Bibs.  I thought what I ordered smelled better than it tasted.  But I was also in a bad mood at the time, so who knows.

Harolds is terrible.  TERRIBLE.  My mom still hasn't forgiven me for getting food from there.  Bad food, bad service, bad all around.  I don't understand the cult following for such a terrible place.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2008, 01:55:55 PM »

I like everything about the Nile but their rice, and that a deal breaker for me.  Which is a bummer, because it is sooo close to me.  I was "eh" on Ribs n' Bibs.  I thought what I ordered smelled better than it tasted.  But I was also in a bad mood at the time, so who knows.

Harolds is terrible.  TERRIBLE.  My mom still hasn't forgiven me for getting food from there.  Bad food, bad service, bad all around.  I don't understand the cult following for such a terrible place.

i agree with this. i never got the harold's obsession. and calypso cafe has the best ribs i've ever had...much better than ribs 'n' bibs in my opinion. anyway, the takeaway point is that there are plenty of food options even if you're a crappy cook and/or don't have a kitchen. that being said, i would not want to live in new grad. i don't know many people who live there, and when i've been in their rooms it just seemed way too....dorm-ish.

Hazard

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2008, 01:59:59 PM »

Harold's is delicious. You have to get the proper order though. Getting it plain and dry is a bad idea.

As for Mexican food, I'd say that not only is Hyde Park lacking, all of Chicago is lacking.
I'm posting constructively.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2008, 02:06:54 PM »
Also missing from the restaurant list: Piccolo Mondo, a pretty good, cheap italian place across the street from SB.

Bathing Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2008, 02:07:30 PM »
Here's a question - how well do your guys' loans cover rent at Regents (or wherever) and other expenses?  Do the loans provided through the law school give you a lot of wiggle room if you take the maximum offered and no more?  I mean, if I could be living in Regents and eating steaks everyday on my loans, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to live there but my assumption was that it would be like undergrad where my loans covered my books and tuition with little to none left over.

Also, are there any venues down south that get decent concerts or am I going to have to trek it all the way up north every time a band I like comes through town?

A note about Mexican food in Chicago - yeah, there's not really any amazing Mexican food up in near North, downtown or on South Side, but if you go to Pilsen you can find some AMAZING stuff.  Personally, I think Chicago is lacking good Chinese food (basically everywhere I've been is awful, especially the Chinatown restaurants I've been to).  Fortunately, I'm more of a thai food guy.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2008, 02:26:34 PM »
Also missing from the restaurant list: Piccolo Mondo, a pretty good, cheap italian place across the street from SB.

I've only been there once, but it was surprisingly good. BYOB too, I think.

Also: Original Pancake House. Never been yet, but a lot of people seem to like it.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."