Law School Discussion

University of Chicago Class of 2011

Re: University of Chicago Class of 2011
« Reply #290 on: August 01, 2008, 11:35:51 AM »
I just know I'm going to be of the people placed in the 8:30 AM section.  :'(

Bathing Jesus: Let's make a Section Switch Pact.

Hazard

• UChicago 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 01, 2008, 11:51:18 AM »
If we are, say, the polar opposite of bathing jesus, what is the earliest we can expect for our schedules?

The earliest classes are at 8:30.  My section never had any 8:30 classes, but did have a 9:45 class each quarter.

Same caveat as before about classes after 1L year - you never have to take any class, but there will probably be an 8:30 class you suck it up to take.

Especially if you want to take Professor "I don't ask for 8:30s but I don't object to them so they always assign them to me" Baird.

« Reply #292 on: August 06, 2008, 10:41:15 AM »
I just know I'm going to be of the people placed in the 8:30 AM section.  :'(

Bathing Jesus: Let's make a Section Switch Pact.

Done.  I can't stand those late classes because it seems like my day is pretty much done by the time I get out of class, as opposed to having a bunch of time at the end of the day to hang out and play videogames or whatever.

« Reply #293 on: August 15, 2008, 06:32:32 PM »
Almost a month until orientation....

*Bump*

« Reply #294 on: August 16, 2008, 08:54:40 AM »
Almost a month until orientation....

*Bump*

I know.

Is it normal for me to be so excited? My wife keeps telling me that as soon as school starts I'll be wishing it was summer again, but I can't wait. Its like the fist day of 5th grade all over again.

« Reply #295 on: August 16, 2008, 09:51:23 AM »
I want my schedule!

« Reply #296 on: August 16, 2008, 11:39:02 PM »
I'm looking forward to it, but also not.

« Reply #297 on: August 16, 2008, 11:39:50 PM »
I want my schedule!

Do we know for sure what classes we'll have first quarter other than Writing, Elements, and CivPro?

« Reply #298 on: August 17, 2008, 08:46:52 AM »
I want my schedule!

Do we know for sure what classes we'll have first quarter other than Writing, Elements, and CivPro?

I don't know myself, but one of us could probably call and find out.

« Reply #299 on: August 17, 2008, 10:38:47 AM »
None of you asked for this advice, but I'm full of self-importance so I'm giving it anyway:  calm thyselves.

Do not call the admissions or registrars office asking question.  Don't be that guy.  They will tell you everything you need to know when you need to know it.  Class is still a month away.  While I understand the desire to know (I'm awaiting getting a course schedule, too), knowing really won't change anything for you.

Which comes to:  don't spend your time reading anything about law school.  Taking torts or property in the fall quarter?  Doesn't matter.  Shouldn't make you do anything differently.  The only reading you need to have done on the first day is whatever your professor assigns (and they'll tell you that eventually).

Spend your days being as happy as possible.  Read books you always want to read but never find time for.  See movies.  Take a mini-break somewhere.  Spend time with your SO and friends and family.

Law school can be a great time, but it is still law school.  It is hard.  It is draining and tiring and sometimes you will want to tear your hair out.  Take advantage of every moment you can to do the things that you love doing.

If you get to Chicago early, explore.  Visit some neighborhoods to see the variety the city has to offer.  Visit the Field Museum or the Art Institute or whatever types of places tickle your fancy.  Go to Millennium Park while the weather is good.

Walk around Hyde Park.  See main campus.  Visit the shops on 57th Street, including the Seminary Co-Op Bookstore on 57th and University.  Wander around 53rd and Harper.  Start on the path to figuring out which of the three Thai places on 55th you prefer.  Find a dry cleaner and a tailor.  Stock up on groceries.

Most of all, relax.  I know, it is impossible.  A year ago I wasn't that relaxed.  But do everything you can to make it so.  You'll be grateful you did.