Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Chicago Class of 2011  (Read 98484 times)

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2011
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 07:41:59 PM »
i'd put in a vote for university housing. i pay $800 for a really large furnished (full futon/double bed, huge desk with shelves, dresser, coffee table, two end tables, dinning table) studio with a bathroom, dressing room area, and full kitchen/dining area about a 15 min. walk from the law school, across the street from ratner, which is the big university gym. there is street parking, but i pay $35 for a reserved spot (that will run you over $100 a month at regents, where there is very little street parking at night). i'm one of the few who's sticking it out here my 2L and 3L year...it's just not worth the extra money to furnish a more expensive place up north for me.

I thought you were moving up north?  No?  Yeah!

haha, i wanted to, but there were three intervening factors. 1) i'm cheap, 2) i'm lazy, 3) i figure i should put in a casual appearance at school more than once a week (closely tied to the laziness factor). plus, as long as i have one good friend staying here (which i do), i can split cabs up north constantly. plus i want to be close by if the musical reunion party EVER HAPPENS.

buffettologie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 08:21:05 PM »
I'll put in another plug for graduate student housing. I hadn't considered it until last minute, but once I was here in Chicago and could view it, I found it to be dated, but VERY well kept. I have a 3-bedroom with a parking spot 1/2 a block away and my total rent + utilities is ~$1275 - that's a good deal in my book. It's right on the busline (about two stops down from Regents). About the only thing against it is that you do miss out on the social factor. I live in a married student building (there are some single students, but the priority/majority goes to those who are attached), but there are only about 2-3 other 1Ls who live there (and several 2/3Ls). If you don't mind walking the two blocks to Regents, then it's not a bad deal.

I'm planning to stay next year and then move up north during the third year since I'm planning to stay in Chicago permanently upon graduation.
U of C 2010

Hazard

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 09:38:24 PM »
I haven't read this thread too closely -- sorry, I'm at a train station -- but I can't understand why New Graduate's kitchen is problematic for so many folks.  I don't mean to sound combative when I ask whether I'm missing something, since it seems like a great place to meet other grad and law students.  When I was touring, for instance, I met a nice International Studies student.  Is there something wrong with the kitchen that I didn't realize?  It's possible.  My tour guide was very much in "sell" mode.

I liked Regents, but I prefer the proximity of New Graduate.

Again, this thread should be very useful.  Thanks to the OP.
Here's the 2010 thread: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php?topic=86734.4310
A questions thread: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,95627.350.html

The kitchen at New Grad is shared. That's the problem.

Regents is nice because of all the 1Ls that also live there. More live there than New Grad. You'll know all the 1Ls anyway, but socializing is easier at the more spacious apartments of Regents.
I'm posting constructively.

MP

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 10:46:22 PM »
Well, part of the thing about New Grad is that there's such as thing as too much interaction with fellow law students.  I mean, it's so close to the law school and you see the same people everyday anyway.  Regents gives you a good proximity to others while giving you some privacy (and having lived in a tiny tiny studio last year in college, I like having a nice apartment to come back to).  Of course, some people aren't going to find those reasons to be enough to pay Regents' rent.  For me though, privacy and a non-shared place is really important when I'm stressed out, the weather's crappy and I have work to do (like the brief I should be writing right now). 

Oh and I'm staying in Regents too.  Partly against my will because I don't like Hyde Park, but I'm lazy, almost all of my good friends are staying in HP, and not moving frees up the last week of August for me so I can do some traveling instead of moving furniture :)

Reaching

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 09:18:17 AM »
I think the best feature of new grad is the academic year lease. You don't have to pay for summer months if you decide to work in another city during your first summer.

cerise

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 12:23:08 PM »
For all the current students: Do I need to bring my car?  Are there any gocery stores within walking/bus distance?

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 12:29:32 PM »
For all the current students: Do I need to bring my car?  Are there any gocery stores within walking/bus distance?

You don't need a car, and plenty of people live without one.  But if you have a car and have the means to bring it, I highly recommend you do.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 12:45:50 PM »
There is a Treasure Island just a few blocks from Regents. Although, I bet its still a hassle to get a lot of groceries when you don't have a car. For people in that position, there is always www.peapod.com for groceries (which is what I usually use in the rare situations where I actually get groceries).

As for the car in general... I don't have one here and I don't really mind it that much. Public transportation is great within Hyde Park, and if I'm going out at night up North I probably don't want to drive anyway. Of course, there will still be times when it can be quite annoying  to not have a car (I write this as I ask someone for a ride later today), but those situations are not that common for me.

That being said, if I move up North, I will have to have a car here next year. And even if I don't move up North, I'll probably have a car.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 12:53:17 PM »

You don't need a car, and plenty of people live without one.  But if you have a car and have the means to bring it, I highly recommend you do.

TITCR.

I'm a Texan.  We drive.  It's how we roll.

But, it's totally not necessary.  Treasure Island is SOOOO much better than the old grocery store (the Hyde Park Co-Op, where you basically had no choice but to go elsewhere).  I did my first thorough shop there last night and was really pleased.  You can be cool and get one of those little carts if you don't want to carry heavy groceries (I see that all the time).  The same shopping center also has an Office Depot and a hardware store.

For stuff you want to buy outside of Hyde Park (Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, whatever), it seems there are people going on a regular basis (and also people who can be bribed to take a trip they weren't planning...procrastination is fun).  For going out at night, cabs are pretty cheap and easy to split (which I admit is a plus about Regents).
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 12:58:33 PM »
What do you usually eat in Hyde Park?  I'm not much of a cook, and I'm woried that the lack of decent fast food will be a problem.

Well, in terms of big national chains, I think all we have are McDonalds, Dominoes, and and a few Subways. But no one wants to go to places like that anyway. There are a lot of restaurants, including fast food places, around Hyde Park. And most deliver too. I was actually pleasantly surprised with some of the food options here in Hyde Park.

The only problem is late night dining. I think the only places open really late are Dominoes and McDonalds (which is 24 hours, but only if you have a car).

I don't cook. At all. I mean, not even a little bit. And I still eat, so don't worry about that.

What do you eat for lunch around the LS?

Well, I'd say the majority of the days there is a free lunch event going on at the law school. I actually enjoy most of the events (not just for the food), so I try to go to them if I can.

If there is no free lunch that day, or I just can't go to it, there are a few options: the law school cafeteria (not recommended unless you're strapped for time or something), the business school cafeteria (recommended), a few other university cafeteries (don't know enough about them), or, if you have time, there are a number of restaurants on 57th Street to go to.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."