Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Chicago Class of 2011  (Read 98428 times)

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Chicago Class of 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 03:39:10 PM »
yay i'm excited to see everyone next year when i am a massively old 3L!

neverold

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 03:44:34 PM »
I think I'm going to go with Regents.  The facilities are awesome (the view from the Summit Club is breathtaking), the bus is extremely convenient (door to door service) and the prices aren't too bad if you split a 2BR.  Plus, it sounds like its extremely convenient to have 50 or so other law students close enough you can visit in your PJs during finals week.  I might move up north 2L or 3L, or to somewhere else in Hyde Park, but with a colorful as the neighborhood can be I think I'd rather wait until i've lived there to figure out the best places.

This.

Cerise, I am fairly decided on living in Regents.  I never considered New Grad because I really want my own kitchen.  I did look at the other graduate housing options as well as Craigslist, but from talking to some of the people who lived in Regents, I get the impression that it's really nice to be living with lots of other 1Ls your first year.  The social aspect did it for me, and though I'd need to take the bus to class, it really is pretty convenient.  I'll save money in years 2 and 3 :)

At ASW I stayed with a student who lives in Regents, and it was GORGEOUS.  Very spacious, with plenty of closet room and kitchen room.  Fanciest place I will have ever lived in, that's for sure ;)

Bathing Jesus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 04:47:04 PM »
'sup guys.  I'll be attending in the Fall as well.  The Regents decision is a tough one because of the social factor, but I just don't think the money is worth it.  Seriously, $1520 for a 2BR with no heat, electric, parking, cable tv included? Elsewhere in Chicago (the nice parts!) that type of money will get you a washer and dryer in-unit at least.

I'm probably going to jam down there this weekend to check out some of the bigger apartment complexes though, so maybe Regents will wow me or something.

With that said, if any solos are out there who might want to live in a 3BR for a bit cheaper (probably the only way I'd do Regents at this point), drop a line.

ShadWhitmore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 04:50:29 PM »
Tag

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 04:57:55 PM »
On Housing:

Regents definitely has many advantages.  A lot of apartments have gorgeous views, the bus is really convenient, tons of 1Ls live there (which is probably a negative for me, but to each his own).  Pricey, I suppose (I've lived in expensive places, so it doesn't seem terrible to me), but there are lots of conveniences.  We don't call it the Law School Dorm for nothing!

New Grad is super close to campus and can be good if you don't have and don't want to buy a bunch of furniture.  I don't seem to hang with many people who live there, but they definitely exist.

I've been impressed with the University Housing I've seen.  Not deluxe, but nicer than I expected at good rates.  Definitely worth checking out.

I chose to live in a Hyde Park condo I found on craigslist with a roommate I also found on craigslist who is not affiliated with the law school.  I have lots of furniture, two cats, and I like to cook, so it's worked out great for me.  Still close to school (I'm half a block from the 171 bus), but with a little more separation from the craziness.  I plan on staying here for all three years.

Hope this helps!
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 05:35:30 PM »
i'd put in a vote for university housing. i pay $800 for a really large furnished (full futon/double bed, huge desk with shelves, dresser, coffee table, two end tables, dinning table) studio with a bathroom, dressing room area, and full kitchen/dining area about a 15 min. walk from the law school, across the street from ratner, which is the big university gym. there is street parking, but i pay $35 for a reserved spot (that will run you over $100 a month at regents, where there is very little street parking at night). i'm one of the few who's sticking it out here my 2L and 3L year...it's just not worth the extra money to furnish a more expensive place up north for me.

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 06:05:52 PM »
I stayed in Regents this year and don't really regret the decision (I live in a 1 Br and don't have a car). On balance, I really do like having so many other law students around. Whether its just to go grab something to eat, or to go out at night, or to play a quick game of Smash Bros., being able to meet up with someone in 30 seconds is incredibly convenient. I'm actually going to miss that a lot next year.

So yes, I am looking to move out of Regents for next year. But the fact that I really haven't started seriously looking for an apartment yet (not to mention I still have to find a place over the summer) is starting to make things look iffy. Inertia may keep me in Regents, as it seems like it will do for a couple of other 1Ls and 2Ls I know that are living here right now.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

MP

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 06:16:30 PM »
Tag.

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 06:37:03 PM »
i'd put in a vote for university housing. i pay $800 for a really large furnished (full futon/double bed, huge desk with shelves, dresser, coffee table, two end tables, dinning table) studio with a bathroom, dressing room area, and full kitchen/dining area about a 15 min. walk from the law school, across the street from ratner, which is the big university gym. there is street parking, but i pay $35 for a reserved spot (that will run you over $100 a month at regents, where there is very little street parking at night). i'm one of the few who's sticking it out here my 2L and 3L year...it's just not worth the extra money to furnish a more expensive place up north for me.

I thought you were moving up north?  No?  Yeah!
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 07:07:43 PM »
Welcome incoming 1Ls.  I won't be around when you get here, but I'm happy to answer whatever Chicago-related questions you might have.