Law School Discussion

For CT: UIUC or Quinnipiac?

Speedzie

• Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
Re: For CT: UIUC or Quinnipiac?
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 02:27:09 PM »

I'd bet that it does...I'm sure that lots of people lose their $$ at Q because of failure to make it to the top 1/3 of the class.

Yeah, I'd agree.  They do seem to be throwing money at people on LSN, so I'm sure plenty of people do lose the money, or some portion of it.

I haven't heard anyone comment on whether I might be better off transferring to UConn after a year at either school.  Anyone know what typically happens to your class rank after a transfer??

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 03:07:29 PM »

I'd bet that it does...I'm sure that lots of people lose their $$ at Q because of failure to make it to the top 1/3 of the class.

Yeah, I'd agree.  They do seem to be throwing money at people on LSN, so I'm sure plenty of people do lose the money, or some portion of it.

I haven't heard anyone comment on whether I might be better off transferring to UConn after a year at either school.  Anyone know what typically happens to your class rank after a transfer??

Yeah I also agree with the fact that you are better off with guaranteed money.

Transferring is generally frowned upon because you should be using your 1L grades to get 2L summer jobs, not for a transfer.  There's a lot of downsides to transferring.

honestly, i don't think transferring is frowned upon.  people transfer (mostly) for better opportunities.  there may be downsides to transferring, but depending on where you are able to, the gained opportunities outweigh the negatives.

personally, i just caution people against going to a school that they wouldn't like for 3 years with the sole intention of transferring.

NYC2L

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 07:11:52 PM »
honestly, i don't think transferring is frowned upon.  people transfer (mostly) for better opportunities.  there may be downsides to transferring, but depending on where you are able to, the gained opportunities outweigh the negatives.

personally, i just caution people against going to a school that they wouldn't like for 3 years with the sole intention of transferring.
[/quote]

TITCR

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 07:47:43 PM »
UIUC, no question.

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 10:40:28 PM »

TITCR

I didn't just mean look upon it badly, I mean there's a huge downside to doing so.  If you have good enough grades to transfer, you probably have a decent class rank from your grades in 1L.  So you are using them to transfer and then your GPA/class rank doesn't count at all at your new school.  If you are in the top 1/3rd of UIUC, then you probably have good enough grades that job prospects will be better, so you shouldn't leave!
[/quote]

It depends on what you are trying to do.  There are people at my school that transferred from a wide array of schools, including Fordham, NYLS, Penn, GW, GULC...Now, if I had the grades to transfer from Penn, I'd just stay there. However, transferring from NYLS was a smart move.  If OP went to Q and beat the curve, hell yea I'd say transfer--his opps would sky rocket.  UIUC is a good school, but I'd probably transfer from there as well (that all depends on what school accepts you).

Furthermore, losing placement could be alleviated if the new school allows transfers on law review.  Additionally, if you do well enough to transfer, I'm sure that people would do well in the new school enough to graduate with a high rank (*if* your school ranks).  Hell, Ruth Bader Ginsburg transferred to CLS has like the highest gpa of a graduating student (or female, i 4get which). 

Transferring and losing/gaining opps totally depends on where the person is transferring to.