Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to Go?  (Read 1326 times)

cutty209

• View Profile
    • Email
Where to Go?
« on: April 18, 2008, 05:33:18 PM »
Hello all, I am on the verge of graduating, although I intend on going to law school, I am going to take a year off and work, to pay off loans and save.  Anyways I would like to attend a NYC or D.C. area law school , based on my info that I will list below, let me know where you think I may have a good shot

GPA: 3.51

LSAT 158( may retake it)

1st to attend college in my family

Latino

2 yrs work experience ( Assistant project manager/counselor for housing developer)

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
Re: Where to Go?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 09:30:44 AM »
I know  a 3.67/158 Latino girl that got into Columbia.

Apply everywhere.
Vandy 1L... really?

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 09:40:09 AM »
Bold speaks the truth... a former user on here was African American and he got into Northwestern and Boalt with a 157.

True. Though to be frank he was a vetran, which probably helped him a lot at NW. My girl was straight out of UG.
Vandy 1L... really?

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 09:47:28 AM »
I would recommend a retake, if you want a T20.  Not all URMness is treated the same (African-Americans > Latinos and American Indians), and even within given groups, there are differences, e.g., Mexicans and Puerto Ricans tend to get preference over Cubans.  While everyone knows "someone" who got into a T14 with a 150ish, for Latinos and Indians, the chances are slim, unless you have significant soft factors and a very high GPA.  Make sure you get LoRs which attest to your academic strengths, and apply very early (Sept-October.)

If you're okay with a lower ranked T1 or T2, then you might not have to retake, but the competitiveness for those spots will increase, particularly in the West and Southwest, where there are large Latino populations.  Once again, get your application in early.

ETA:  Case and point:  While I was typing this out, Cosmo provided her experience --> soft factors and wicked high GPA.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

DECONda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 01:31:59 PM »

Apply everywhere.

Ya. And if you are a legacy even better. One UF girl last year was enrolled for Northeastern... two weeks before school began she ended up at Georgetown. She can thank daddy for that.

URM aren't the only ones with a leg up.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 02:00:29 PM »

Apply everywhere.

Ya. And if you are a legacy even better. One UF girl last year was enrolled for Northeastern... two weeks before school began she ended up at Georgetown. She can thank daddy for that.

URM aren't the only ones with a leg up.

I don't understand how you can go to Wake when you seem to know a LOT of random, detailed information about UF.

You seriously creep me out.
Vandy 1L... really?

DECONda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 02:27:05 PM »
As has been explained, I grew up in Gainesville (Oak Hall HS) so between friends (students) and parents' friends (faculty members) I know far too much.

Harsh Reality

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 12:58:02 PM »

Apply everywhere.
Totally agree.  Ride that URM status all the way to Columbia, no need to retake.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 01:28:50 PM »
#1 URM admissions is a bit of a crapshoot. Cast a wide net. I would apply about 20 schools.

#2 No reason not to retake the LSAT if you think you have a reasonable shot of doing better (based off practice tests). Score in the mid 160s and Harvard could be in the cards.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?