4 (28.6%)
Chapman
3 (21.4%)
Pace
1 (7.1%)
New York Law
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

(POLL) Wayne State v. Chapman v. Pace v. New York Law School? (Help me!!!)

YBC15

Three 3rd tier law schools (Wayne State, Chapman, and New York Law School) are my choices now.
I want to try to transfer to Carodozo, Fordham, USC, or UCLA after 1L.  I am very much interested in Entertainment law, and would like to work for entertainment and media companies and for law firms specializing in the representation of entertainment and media clients (in either LA or NYC).
I heard that transfer applicants from some law schools in the 3rd tier are well received in the 1st tier law schools.  I would like to know my transfer application from which one of the three law school (Wayne State, Chapman, and New York Law) would be well recevied in the four above-mentioned 1st tier law schools.   

I think your application from NYLS might be well received 1st and 2nd tier law schools in NYC area.  Since there are many transfer outs from Cardozo and Fordham, they would admit more transfer ins than USC and UCLA would.  Remember that UCLA and USC are the best ones in the southern California, but there are Columbia and NYU in NYC.

YBC15

I have heard so many bad things about NYLS. Is NYLS really that bad?  If I go NYLS, how good I should be at this place in order to transfer to Cardozo? Is top 20% in class enough?   

Re: Wayne State v. Chapman v. New York Law School? (Help me!!!)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 09:42:35 AM »
As I know, transferring from Chapman to UCLA would be almost impossible.  However, you could transfer from NYLS to either Fordham or Cardozo if you can make top 10% at NYLS.   

NYC2L

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 02:20:45 PM »
Do not even consider transferring at this point. It is incredibly short-sighted to enter law school with that in mind because it is impossible to predict law school performance. Remember that you have a 10% chance of being in the top 10%. Do not bank on it. The question you should ask yourself is: Do I want to practice in CA, NY or MI? Your answer should be determinative of you decision.

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 07:26:55 AM »
NYC2L is absolutely right.  Entering law school with a plan to transfer isn't realistic; you should choose your school on the understanding that (with 90% odds) that's where you'll graduate.  That means that -- even though I think it's an easy call that Wayne State is the strongest of those three schools as a general matter -- it's not the best choice *for you*, because it's not going to place as well in NY or LA.

YBC15

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 08:18:25 PM »
To be frankly, I equally like both LA and NYC (I lived in Southern California area for 2 years and in NYC for 3 years). If I end up to get a J.D. from one of the four law schools (Chapman, New York Law, Pace, Wayne State), which one would be the best choice? 

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 09:17:01 PM »
Three 3rd tier law schools (Wayne State, Chapman, and New York Law School) are my choices now.
I want to try to transfer to Carodozo, Fordham, USC, or UCLA after 1L.  I am very much interested in Entertainment law, and would like to work for entertainment and media companies and for law firms specializing in the representation of entertainment and media clients (in either LA or NYC).
I heard that transfer applicants from some law schools in the 3rd tier are well received in the 1st tier law schools.  I would like to know my transfer application from which one of the three law school (Wayne State, Chapman, and New York Law) would be well recevied in the four above-mentioned 1st tier law schools.   

Just so you know, I spoke personally with UCLA's dean of admissions, and he told me that UCLA really only takes transfers from the top %10, even from a place like Cardozo, let alone TTs.

Like others have said, go where you want to work.

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 09:51:12 PM »
So if an 11% at Harvard wanted to go west.....

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 10:37:27 PM »
So if an 11% at Harvard wanted to go west.....

LOL.  I'm all for perpetuating the notion that what goes for Cardozo goes for Harvard ;)