Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Importance of pre Law school Legal job?  (Read 2591 times)

Shimmer649

• View Profile
    • Email
Importance of pre Law school Legal job?
« on: April 18, 2008, 04:41:42 PM »
Hey everyone!

I was hoping someone could share their insights on how important your pre Law school jobs are to Law School acceptance?

I have a science background and have been working in research universities for a few years.  I am relocating to a state in order to gain residency for law school tuition (and hopefully acceptance!).  I could easily get a job working for a large biotech company, but I'm wondering if securing a position as a legal assistant/secretary in a firm would be more benneficial for my law school resume?  How much of a bennefit would a legal job provide?  I would think working in a law office would display my serious interest in becoming a lawyer, but maybe this is actually of negligible importance??  I also heard that any experience in a law office helps you get an internship/summer associate position for 1Ls.  Is this true?  Please help!

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Importance of pre Law school Legal job?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 06:33:31 PM »
Here's a somewhat related thread, although it sounds like you're out of college and this guy wasn't. But it might be helpful: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,104228.msg2677172.html

I actually wrote a pretty long post there, but to sum it up: It probably won't help your resume, but it might help you decide if you really want to be a lawyer. If you're 100% set on law school, I would take whichever job (biotech or law firm) that gives you the best combination of job satisfaction and pay.
UVA Law Class of 2011

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 01:13:13 PM »
unless being in a biotech company is as boring as being a paralegal, I'd say go do biotech. 1 year as a paralegal won't do all that much. However, if you are interested in IP, working for some firm's client or somebody in their industry could be quite helpful. By showing that you have worked in at least a company similar to one that your firm will represent, you will have a great opportunity to demonstrate a sophisticated understanding of clients' needs.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 07:35:22 AM »
Biotech.  Done and done.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Shimmer649

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 05:08:46 PM »
Thanks guys!  You've been a big help.  And good news for me, since Covance will pay me more $ than a firm.

qmmm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 07:38:35 PM »
if you're sure about law school:

patent agent gig > biotech >> random law office work.

Few law students will have biotech backgrounds and fewer still will have patent experience.  Lots of students will have some experience in a law office.

If you have experience as a patent agent before school, you're highly likely to have a choice 1L SA positions b/c you will be one of the few people who they could actually get some useful work out of over the summer.

Even if you're not looking towards patent prosecution after school, learning about the ins and outs of a patent is really crucial to patent litigation and patent/IP transactions.