Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Master of Business Law  (Read 411 times)

asht70

• View Profile
    • Email
Master of Business Law
« on: April 18, 2008, 04:18:30 PM »
Does anybody know whether there are any efforts underway for Master of Business Law (MBL) graduates to qualify to take bar exam and enter into the practice of business law? I came across this interesting and tailored program (http://www.friends.edu/ACADEMICS/GradSchool/msbl.asp) for someone who doesn't want to take the traditional route of JD/LLM. I have MBA/CPA/CFA credentials but I don't consider my academic journey complete without having some legal education. I want to study law but not JD/LLM way.
Any insights will be appreciated.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Master of Business Law
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 08:09:22 PM »
The ways things work now, the JD covers a few major doctrinal issues. These issues are also what is tested on the bar. I don't see any reason why those who dictate things now would go for any sort of limited license for just one area of law. Besides, the one area for this degree, business law, could still be affected by tort law, by constitutional law, etc.

If you want to study law but not for a JD, there are programs like this. If you want to sit for a bar but not get a JD, there are ways to do that, also.

Out of curiousity, when you say you have "MBA/CPA/CFA credentials", does that mean you've actually earned those degree/certifications, or are you talking getting what you would consider the equivalent.

asht70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 12:07:47 AM »
Thanks for your reply, slacker. I am an MBA, CPA and CFA charterholder. What did you mean by "there are other ways to take bar exam without working toward JD degree"? Can you please elaborate on that?

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 03:46:25 AM »
Thanks for your reply, slacker. I am an MBA, CPA and CFA charterholder. What did you mean by "there are other ways to take bar exam without working toward JD degree"? Can you please elaborate on that?

There are exceptions, but the general rule is: No J.D., no bar admission.  Criteria to be admitted to the bar is state specific.  Most states require J.D.  And for most states, that J.D. has to come from an Amer. Bar Assoc. (ABA) accredited law school.  Some states allow people from non-accredited law schools to sit.  A scant few allow apprenticeship, but it is very rare.  So, yes, there are "ways" to take the bar w/o the J.D., but not from most states.  I think there's a document on the nat. bar examiner's web site that you can reference for bar admission requirements for each state.  www.ncbex.org