Law School Discussion

CONFUSED ON WHAT TO DO - Can I Get Some Advice?

CONFUSED ON WHAT TO DO - Can I Get Some Advice?
« on: April 18, 2008, 12:30:40 PM »
Hello All,

I have a unique situation.  I have been a paralegal for the last five years for the same woman who has now become partner at a different DC firm from where I started.  She asked me to work with her and so here I am.  I am now applying to law schools and so far only T3 and T4 schools are giving me the time of day.  I really bomb standardized tests (scored a 147) but have done well in school (3.30 GPA, cum laude, National Honors Society, MPA from NYU).

My question is, should I be freaked out so much right now about only being accepted to T3/T4 schools.  I would like to transfer after the 1st year but I know everyone else will be gunning for the same thing.  My boss here (the partner) loves me, as well as her husband who is also a partner at a different firm just down the street here in DC, and then the other partner at the previous firm that I worked for also liked me.  Should I count on these "connections" or be as stressed out as I am right now?

Thank you in advance for all of your comments. - Jay

Re: CONFUSED ON WHAT TO DO - Can I Get Some Advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 12:37:44 PM »
Your connections are great and they will go a long way when you start looking for work. At the very least, they should get you a foot in the door.

Have you considered re-taking?

Re: CONFUSED ON WHAT TO DO - Can I Get Some Advice?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 12:42:56 PM »
The sad thing is, that was my second time retaking the test and I scored better than my practice exams.  I am like a worm stuck in ketchup when I take the LSATs but I am fully confident that I can tackle the courses once I am in school.