Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Which would you choose?

University of Michigan (18k/Year)
University of Virginia (24k/Year)

Author Topic: UMich(18k/year) v UVa (24k/year)  (Read 4598 times)

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UMich(18k/year) v UVa (24k/year)
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 12:01:52 PM »
Have you asked Michigan to match UVA's offer?  Why not call the office of admissions, explain your situation and guarantee them that you would go there if they matched the offer.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 12:09:44 PM »
Yikes, making decisions like this without visiting either schools seems like it would be quite difficult. That said, go with Michigan if your gut favors it. $18k is not that much money, if it will result in you being happier for the three years of law school.

That said, I've never visited either school, but Virginia is a lot warmer. Michigan seems like it would be a shock if you're used to Hawaii. (Then again, I care more about weather than most.)

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 04:43:01 PM »
Have you asked Michigan to match UVA's offer?  Why not call the office of admissions, explain your situation and guarantee them that you would go there if they matched the offer.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't increase their offer for that little of a discrepancy. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 08:32:50 PM »
Michigan didn't initially offer me anything at all.  The 18k offer only came when I told them about the 24k from Virginia.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

Scribner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 09:16:33 PM »
I think UVA is going to be less tolerant, and if you've never lived in the "south", that could take some serious getting used to.

Yes, go to Michigan to hang out with kids who make moronic and sweeping generalizations.

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 09:18:54 PM »
I'm fairly sure that Michigan's LRAP would more than make up the 18K difference over a few years...
CLS 2011

ProfessorPlum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Georgetown Law 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 12:02:54 AM »
you will find that uva has little in common with the south.

I strongly disagree with this statement, especially in reference to the OP's comparison between UVa and Michigan.
hoia saxa

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 05:07:27 AM »
Honestly, I really do think this comes down to the weather.

Never underestimate the power and effect of the brutal winters of the north.  I grew up in the tropics and then moved to Canada (east of the Rockies, west of the Great Lakes), where I lived for ten years.  Winter lasts for 5 months (7-8 months sometimes, given the unpredictability of fall and spring), with temperatures that can drop to 40 below, and you don't see grass for that entire time.  Many people suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder in such conditions, and winter is a depressing blur in your life. 

There are benefits to such winters, such as snow (a novelty for some), and the fact that some people feel that they are less distracted when they're forced to stay inside and study.  This wasn't true for me, though. 

J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

pete.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 09:06:51 AM »
ok, let me put this a different way. I live charlottesville, and perceive it to a very tolerant and progressive community. it went ~90% for john kerry in 2004. as uva politics professor and political pundit larry sabato likes to say: politically speaking, charlottesville is like a little piece of Massachusetts stuck in the south.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 09:12:15 AM »
Honestly, I really do think this comes down to the weather.

Never underestimate the power and effect of the brutal winters of the north.  I grew up in the tropics and then moved to Canada (east of the Rockies, west of the Great Lakes), where I lived for ten years.  Winter lasts for 5 months (7-8 months sometimes, given the unpredictability of fall and spring), with temperatures that can drop to 40 below, and you don't see grass for that entire time.  Many people suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder in such conditions, and winter is a depressing blur in your life. 

There are benefits to such winters, such as snow (a novelty for some), and the fact that some people feel that they are less distracted when they're forced to stay inside and study.  This wasn't true for me, though. 

Michigan winters are nothing like that.  There are periods of snow, and it's very cold for 4-8 weeks (with periods of not-so-cold even then), but it's pretty sheltered by the lakes.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011