Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: bosses vs. professors  (Read 2091 times)

pross1492

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
bosses vs. professors
« on: June 18, 2004, 04:48:56 PM »
if you had a choice, which do you think would be more effective: letters of recommendation from people that youve worked for in your professional life or former professors?

dta

Re: bosses vs. professors
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 04:57:43 PM »
From what i've read in various "how to get into law school" books, LOR's from professors are much preferred my admissions boards. Personally, i've got 2 LOR's from academia (professors) and 1 from a boss to represent my 7 years working.

BFranklin_fan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 09:23:41 PM »
I'm trying for one from UG, one from GS, and one from work.

Ginatio

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 09:26:51 PM »
I got one from my academic advisor and one from work. but then again, ive been working for a law firm, so it's pretty relevant.

barchk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 09:48:18 PM »
I've been out of school for a while, and having attended a large public university I was unable to get letters from old profs.  I used employers, and got accepted at most places that I applied.  I agree that letters from profs would be better, but if you don't have that option I don't think letters from employers will really hurt your chances.

BFranklin_fan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 09:59:18 PM »
Ginato, are you trying for Penn law school or did you go there for undergrad?  Or do you just like the school?  Just curious.

Ginatio

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 10:49:45 PM »
i went to drexel, across the street, for undergrad. and will be attending their law school in the fall

Ginato, are you trying for Penn law school or did you go there for undergrad?  Or do you just like the school?  Just curious.

vy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 06:24:23 PM »
Is an LOR from a professor outside of your major really that bad?  I have one language and one political science professsor ( I was an econ major) that I have great rel'ships with, and am confident they would write me good recs.  Is this bad?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2004, 09:11:54 PM »
I really don't think it matters if it's in your major.  Ad coms only want to see someone who knows you and, perhaps more importantly, your academic work very well, and can help them get an idea of who you are.