Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Application Fee Waivers  (Read 4867 times)

lexorva

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Application Fee Waivers
« on: September 30, 2002, 08:50:18 AM »
What experience has anyone had with application fee waivers, if you get one is it a pretty good indication that you will be offered admission if you apply? Obviously there is no obligation on their part to do so, but why invite someone to apply if you aren't going to admit them. Do admissions officials send them out in large quantities.

djmystical

Re:  Application Fee Waivers
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2002, 02:09:41 PM »
I have received many, including from NYU, Michigan, Georgetown, Indiana Bloomington, Duke, etc.  You are correct that they are definitely not an obligation, but I would think they're an indication that the school would like you to apply, so that they can review your credentials more closely.  After all, they only have your LSAT and GPA range to go by, and that's not enough to make a decision. I know some people who did not get any waivers at all, because their scores are low, so not everyone gets them.  I also think the top schools are more likely to give waivers, as I have not received any waivers from second tier schools or lower.

Candy Cane

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2002, 05:42:19 AM »
What did you do to get them? I was hoping for some but have only recieved one thus far. Did you request information from the schools? I just took the LSAT in October so should I just be patient?? :-/

djmystical

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2002, 12:31:40 PM »
I did not do anything to receive them, except that I checked the box on my LSAC application where I agree to release my information to interested law schools.  I am actually already in law school, 1st year.  I took the LSAT in June 2002, and I started getting letters the same week the results were published.  I rec'd dozens of letters, and fee waivers for every 1st tier law school in the country, I think (except for Harvard).  The last two were from Yale & Colombia.  I scored in the 160s on the LSAT and have a 4.0 GPA, and I think my numbers look good to the schools.  I have not used any of the waivers, because like I said I started law school near home this past August, and am doing very well so far.  If my grades are really good, I may switch to a top 10 law school for my second year, but for now I'm very happy.  Good luck to you, whatever you decide.  

Candy Cane

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2002, 02:43:43 PM »
I was wondering... How long did it take for them to arrive? The results came out last week and I've only gotten 2. I really need them in order to apply to all my choices.

djmystical

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2002, 02:08:26 PM »
The first couple of letters with fee waivers arrived the same week that the results were published, which was at the end of July.  They are still coming though, one yesterday, and one today, from schools I had never heard of before, encouraging me to apply for full tuition scholarships.  The majority came at the end of September and early October.  If you want to apply to a particular school, you should do so if you have the money, so you can have a better chance to get admitted.  If they later send you a fee waiver, some schools will tell you that they will refund your application fee if you already sent an application with a check.   What are your numbers like?  I think they have to be relatively high to get a lot of fee waivers.

CandyCane

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2002, 04:45:59 AM »
I scored a 171 and have a 3.59 GPA from an Ivy league school.

djmysticval

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2002, 11:21:52 AM »
Have you rec'd any since we last spoke?  You numbers are impressive.  Your LSAT is higher than mine (I scored in the 160's), and I have a 4.0 GPA.  I am a minority female, I learned to speak English as an adult, I'm older (late 30's) with many years experience as a paralegal (if that makes any difference).  Even taking all that into consideration, I'm surprised you haven't rec'd more fee waivers though.  Did you check the box that allows LSAC to release your scores to the law schools?  If you did not, that might explain it.  Anyway, with your numbers, you should have no problems getting into the top schools.  If they have not sent anything by now, I don't think it's going to happen.  I rec'd only 2 letters this week, one for the Black Law Student Association at Harvard, and one from the University of Ohio Law School.  They are definitely slowly down.  Don't wait too long to apply, and Good luck in law school - I'm sure you 'll be great!

djmystical

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2002, 11:30:44 AM »
Your numbers are impressive.  My LSAT is lower than yours, and though my GPA is higher, it is from a state school.  You should have no problem getting into one of the top law schools.  If I were you, I'd apply now to my top choices, pay the fee if I have to.  If you have not heard by the deadlines, then apply to a couple more safety schools, and see what happens.  Did you check the box allowing LSAC to release your scores to the law schools?  If you didn't that might explain why you did not get more fee waivers.  In my case, I am an older minority female (30s) with many years experience as a paralegal (if that even counts), and I also learned English as an adult.  These are the only factors I can think of that might account for the number of fee waivers I rec'd, since I know the schools are always trying to increase diversity in the profession.  Whatever you decide, I wish you lots of luck, and I know you will be great in law school!

Candy Cane

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2002, 03:21:01 PM »
Well I got one from Temple, Columbia, University of Miami, and USC. I really want to go to a Southern school and I haven't heard anything form any of them. Not even just introductory letters. I went ahead and mailed some applications anyway sinc eit is getting kind of late. Just not as many as I would have liked. I think the problem was the LSAC hadn't processed my transcript when the scores came out.