Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: California Schools  (Read 518 times)

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
California Schools
« on: August 15, 2005, 05:01:05 PM »
Is it true that one can get instate tuition after the 1st year at a public school such as Boalt, UCLA, etc?   What does one have to do to qualify for instate tuition the following year? 

TrulyYours

• View Profile
Re: California Schools
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 05:17:25 PM »
Is it true that one can get instate tuition after the 1st year at a public school such as Boalt, UCLA, etc?   What does one have to do to qualify for instate tuition the following year? 

I believe so.  Although this is a undergraduate thing I heard the same from washington state. 

A friend of mine that went to UW said after his first year he paid normal tuition and it was REALLY REALLY cheap. 

A frind of mine that went to CAL for Undergrad had the same thing.  He said something about he had to get a job so that in a year they would accept him as a tax-paying citizen .  Then the grants and tuition was both for his favor. 

TrulyYours

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 05:18:28 PM »
The UW guy was a lawschool guy.  He went to lawschool there.

confusion111

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 07:41:00 PM »
Its true you can be a resident after one year. Just to let you know though, the UC regents approved another hike in tuition for the spring semester of an additional 1500 dollars.

jenery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 08:32:16 PM »
I established residency for my master's degree at UCSD (coming from GA) and it wasn't difficult.  The in-state tuition for UC law schools has been going up steadily, it's not as much of a steal as it used to be, but still a pretty good bargain (about $10K less per year). 

You have to convince them that school is not the only reason you are in California, i.e. that you want to become a permanent resident of the state.  This includes getting a CA driver's license, registering your car in CA, registering to vote in CA, paying CA state taxes, making your CA address your 'permanent address', opening bank accounts in CA, etc. It was a pain in the ass and required a lot of documentation but my department actually required me to become a CA resident since they were paying my tuition and fees so there was not much I could do.  Glad now that I have it though. 

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 09:35:01 PM »

Typically yes. You will have to establish residency in california (voter registration/drivers licence) and stay/work in California over your 1L summer.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.