Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need help deciding quick! Loyola or Davis  (Read 679 times)

confusion111

• View Profile
Need help deciding quick! Loyola or Davis
« on: August 15, 2005, 04:53:13 PM »
Hey everyone,

I got admitted to Davis and waitlisted at Loyola (LA) which I have no clue why. I just got off the waitlist at loyola and now I have to decide quickly where to attend. I want to work in LA after I graduate. Even though Davis is ranked higher, I keep hearing Loyola is much better for Los Angeles. In terms of cost, Davis will be 25k a yr. and loyola will be 30k a year. Cost isnt as much of an issue as employment prospects. So what are some suggestions as to what school to attend? Thanks

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Re: Need help deciding quick! Loyola or Davis
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 05:01:43 PM »
I think you'll be good with either school.  I would probably go with Davis because it has a better national reputation with employers than Loyola LA.  Even though your current interest is in LA job prospects, things might change during your law school career.  Really though, if LA is where you want to go, both schools will set you up for good job prospects in that area.  Good luck.
Yale.Law.School.2010

confusion111

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 05:10:20 PM »
Im basing this deciison strictly on employment prospects in LA. I know for a fact Im going to work here because my family and significant other are in LA. As for cost, I have no COL costs at Loyola as I will have a room available for me for free in LA so the difference in costs are minimal. Thanks for your replies

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 05:12:37 PM »
With no other factors being of importance, then go for Loyola. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

DodgerLaw

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 05:51:07 PM »
Here are a couple of links to the attorney search pages of some large law firms with offices in L.A.

O'Melveny & Myers: http://omm.com/webcode/navigate.asp?nodeHandle=4&idContent=0

Reed Smith: http://www.reedsmith.com/ourattorneys/searchForm.cfm

Jackson Lewis: http://www.jacksonlewis.com/attorneys/searchSchool.cfm?iSchoolType=0

Based on my quick review of these three, you may be better off at Loyola.

anner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 11:49:09 PM »
just to play devil's advocate...

i don't think that makes sense JUST because there are FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR fewer people graduating from davis than there are from loyola.  davis is, after all, one of the smallest schools in california (and if i am not mistaken THE smallest... not sure tho).  so when you have 400 or more students then yeh, you will see a lot more loyola kids.  But davis students do tend to spread out as well, whereas Loyola kids are way more likely to stay in town.  does that mean Davis has less pull in LA?  no.  I just think you need to put it in perspective is all.
big. fat. manly.

CornellBound

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 01:09:39 AM »
If cost is negated, I would go to Loyola. Much better rep in Los Angeles while Davis' rep is more prevalent in Nor Cal. Go to Nalp and look how many firsm recruit at each school and it isnt even close. Also, look at the associates at each firm and you barely see 1 or 2 Davis grads at each firm where in some firms you see double digit loyola grads. I know Davis is considerably smaller but that cant explain the huge discrepancy. Of course, this can be because Davis grads stay up north but that is the problem. Alot of LA firms arent familiar with Davis grads. Of course, if you go to Davis and are in the top 5 or 10 percent, you should be fine. On another point, if the UC schools keep raising tuition like they are, they are going to rival the price of a private school education.

HighlanderDP95

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 05:56:06 PM »
Obviously, I am biased towards Davis, but I think staying in an area where you ultimately want to work is a legit concern.   Unless you are in the top 20% and can get a job in SoCal through OCI, it is tough to do until after you move back.

Some comments:

1.  Firms in LA know Davis as a law school and several do OCI in Davis.

2.  I don't think running a search of attorneys at Biglaw firms is the best method, because Davis is a relatively small school.   Davis averages 180 grads a year, when I went there it was 140 a year.  I think the total Davis alums is 4,000 nationwide, with major clusters in Sacramento, Bay Area and Silicon Valley.

3.  I don't think job prospects after graduation should be the prime reason for choosing a law school.  A lot can change in 3 years.  In my opinion, environment, areas of interest and size are much more important.
King Hall, '98
Admitted CA, '98, NV '02
Stats (1995)
3.75/160
Accepted: King Hall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted then Accepted: Hastings, UCLA
Waitlisted then . . .: Arizona, Colorado
Denied:  Boalt, Texas

GaspowerLA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 06:45:28 PM »
I would head to Loyola because it is a reputable school in the market where you want to work. Davis is a respectable school but the only firms that recruit there from LA are the big law firms which basically require you to place in the top 10 percent. This applies to Loyola as well, however, the small and midsized firms recruit at Loyola as well where they dont at Davis. And as the OP said, cost is negated. Of course, some will say go to Davis because it is ranked higher but thats ridiculous since its mostly a regional school and not ot mention the fact that rankings are extremely overrated. For example, Davis is ranked higher but Hastings seems to be more reputable because of its long history and prestigious alumni. Also, I have to somewhat disagree with the poster above because even though there are a lot of factors in choosing a law school, the number one factor most look at is how well the school places in the market that they want to work. If the person doesnt know which market, then the other factors such as the environment may be the prevailing factor.