Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hey.....  (Read 4101 times)

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Swagger008
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
Re: Hey.....
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 03:10:57 PM »
I am detecting a pretty clear political slant to this forum. 

nathanielmark

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 03:12:01 PM »
I dont think you can give credit to anyone who heads an establishment that has facilitated the molestation of children.

That is not a fair comparison.  The Pope is an intelligent and capable leader who has done a great deal to make positive change in the world with the smallest nation in the world.

Bush is the leader of the free world the same way that the Pope is the of Catholisisim. Some one has to sit in the chair and look concerenced for their country(flock).

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 03:13:26 PM »
I'm gonna agree with jeffjoe on this one.  Once you look past the catholic dogma that he preaches and the church's politics (which is one of the many evils of this world, in my opinion), Pope John Paul II has done a lot of good.  The man is brillant, and has been a great influence (aside from the whole no birthcontrol in africa, sex abuse scandal thing, etc. stuff.)

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Swagger008
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 03:14:24 PM »
I dont think you can give credit to anyone who heads an establishment that has facilitated the molestation of children.

With all due respect, the legal establishment has facilitated the molestation of children.  And yet we are on this forum now.

M2

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 03:14:40 PM »
I'm gonna agree with jeffjoe on this one.  Once you look past the catholic dogma that he preaches and the church's politics (which is one of the many evils of this world, in my opinion), Pope John Paul II has done a lot of good.  The man is brillant, and has been a great influence (aside from the whole no birthcontrol in africa, sex abuse scandal thing, etc. stuff.)

How can you say "aside from..."

Dont you have to take those things into consideration?

jgruber

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2004, 03:15:00 PM »
And Catholic dogma ( and we do call it dogma) is open to criticism, but there is no secret agenda.  We publish the darned thing in a nice thick book called the catechism. 

mpete80

• Ave Maria Class of 2007
    • MSN Messenger - uofm97@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2004, 03:16:33 PM »
How has the Pope helped the world? He, when he can be understood, preaches right wing propaganda (not to sound like Hilary). He is strictly a figurehead with no power to help the world.

nathanielmark

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2004, 03:18:36 PM »

I agree. i think he does more to turn people off from religion then anything else.  i see him in his fancy robes and i just see hypocrisy.

How has the Pope helped the world? He, when he can be understood, preaches right wing propaganda (not to sound like Hilary). He is strictly a figurehead with no power to help the world.

superiorlobe

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2004, 03:18:57 PM »

How can you say "aside from..."

Dont you have to take those things into consideration?

no, you don't have to.  One can distinguish the teachings of the church from the behavior of some priests.

M2

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2004, 03:20:39 PM »

no, you don't have to.  One can distinguish the teachings of the church from the behavior of some priests.

you are taking my post out of context.

jacy said "The man is brillant, and has been a great influence (aside from the whole no birthcontrol in africa, sex abuse scandal thing, etc. stuff.)"

I was asking how she can still consider him brilliant despite all the stuff she mentioned after "aside from".