Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Favorite Bands  (Read 963 times)

karl marx

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Favorite Bands
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 03:19:07 PM »
ska is a brand of music that can be summed up by the one band in the genre that is any good:  The Mighty, Mighty Bosstones.

anything else considered "Ska" is basically just trying to sound like that one band.  go get some Bosstones because its good but anything else is darn.

that's the worst advice I've ever heard.  I used to be big into the ska scene back in the day (lol nerd lol) and there are wayyyyy more bands that are wayyyyy better than the Bosstones out there.  try Slapstick for one.  one of my favorite bands of all time.  the Suicide Machines.  the Telegraph.  the Exceptions.  HOt Stove Jimmy.  I could go on and on.  just because the Bosstones are the only ska band that broke big that you like does NOT mean that it's the only ska band worth listening to.

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 05:51:30 PM »

just because the Bosstones are the only ska band that broke big that you like does NOT mean that it's the only ska band worth listening to.

Yes it does.

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 07:17:21 PM »
most of what i listen to comes from bands like these:  alice in chains, mad season, soundgarden, gnr, hendrix, temple of the dog, metallica, led zep, audioslave, black label society, rage against the machine, a perfect circle, mudvayne, social distortion, stone temple pilots.

beyond that:

i like afi, taking back sunday, and thursday for emo-ish *&^%, and jack johnson, dispatch, mason jennings, and john mayer(i HATE that wonderland song, but his any given thursday live cd is good stuff) for more mellow stuff.  i dont listen to rap or hiphop, but ill listen to pretty much anything else.

06hopeful

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 07:27:13 PM »
I would have to agree that there are wayyyyyyy better ska bands out there. The Bosstones are commercially accessible and do have a pop influence, which is why most people have heard of them.  But most people who listen to ska on more than a topical level would agree that Desmond Dekker, Toots, the Skatalites are all MUCH better bands with more historical depth. 

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005, 07:30:11 PM »
most of what i listen to comes from bands like these:  alice in chains, mad season, soundgarden, gnr, hendrix, temple of the dog, metallica, led zep, audioslave, black label society, rage against the machine, a perfect circle, mudvayne, social distortion, stone temple pilots.

beyond that:

i like afi, taking back sunday, and thursday for emo-ish *&^%, and jack johnson, dispatch, mason jennings, and john mayer(i HATE that wonderland song, but his any given thursday live cd is good stuff) for more mellow stuff.  i dont listen to rap or hiphop, but ill listen to pretty much anything else.

You like Dispatch? I love them! I brought Dispatch to play at my Halloween party in college. It's great to see that other people have discovered them as well.

psr13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Isn't my niece adorable?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005, 04:14:11 AM »
The Bosstones are ok, but I am not too into them. Not everyone else is trying to be them either. What wave are they considered? I don't know too much about them. The Aquabats and Save Ferris are only good if you listen to old school though. They have changed a lot. The Aquabats don't even have a horn section anymore. Also, Save Ferris broke up. Those are the bands I grew up listening to, so those are the ones I like. I forgot to mention that I also like Jeffries Fan Club, but I don't listen to them that much. I think this infatuation is an Orange County thing.

Also, it isn't stuck up becuase I actually do not like music that much. I don't listen to it very often. Those are just the bands that I grew up listening to. I guessI'll also say that I enjoy Weird Al and things found on Dr. Demento.
"What's with today, today?"
-Lucas from "Empire Records"

happy1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2005, 05:20:12 AM »
the doors are obviously the best band ever.  Jim Morrison? Awsome.  Wild. sinful.

karl marx

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 12:11:43 AM »
the doors are overrated.  jim morrison was full of himself.  and full of *&^%, too.  full of *&^% and himself, I guess you could say.  in conclusion, he was very fat when he died.  fat like late-era elvis fat.

social drinker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 12:49:08 AM »
the doors are overrated.  jim morrison was full of himself.  and full of *&^%, too.  full of *&^% and himself, I guess you could say.  in conclusion, he was very fat when he died.  fat like late-era elvis fat.

Conformist.

Tippy Farmbuckle

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 11:35:07 AM »

but he is the lizard king......lol!!!!  i hate the doors.