Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are 3 Recommendations Needed?  (Read 2000 times)

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
Are 3 Recommendations Needed?
« on: June 18, 2004, 11:40:20 AM »
Howdy,

I asked three profs to write letters of rec. for me, since that's the amount LSAC will allow.  Two have been sent and recieved by LSAC.  However, the last professor e-mailed me and said that she could no longer write one for me.  Should I try and find another prof to write one for me, or are two letters good enough?

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

jgruber

Re: Are 3 Recommendations Needed?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 11:41:36 AM »
It depends on the school.  Mine required three, others only two.

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 12:00:32 PM »
my schools require 1 or 2 so i am only getting 2...  its a big pain in the ass.  plus the more you get, the higher the chance someone will say something unhelpful in one...

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 01:12:30 PM »
The minimun you'll need is two.  I think the standard is usually 3.  You don't necessarily need another prof, but if you've had any good work exp or internships or anything, you could get a rec from a supervisor.  The definitely want 2 academic recs, since law school is essentially an academic persuit, but that third rec you can do whatever you want with it.  That's what I'm doing, 2 profs, and 1 attorney i work for.

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 05:25:49 PM »
If some schools want 3 letters, let's say I send in 3 to LSAC to cover them.  But, for the schools that only want a couple of letters, will they still get 3 from LSAC and just look at 2 of them?  I don't get to specify?  Seems weird-I want to represent the best 2, but the process may not allow that. (?)

lemmiwinks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 05:31:36 PM »
Adcomms don't give a *&^% about LOR's.  I had two and only one of them was academic.  Neither of them were very good either.  I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't read them at all.  Just get two of them to satisfy the minimum required.  All they care about is LSAT and GPA.

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 06:32:12 PM »
Adcomms don't give a *&^% about LOR's.  I had two and only one of them was academic.  Neither of them were very good either.  I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't read them at all.  Just get two of them to satisfy the minimum required.  All they care about is LSAT and GPA.
I hear ya except for worrying that if a couple of my schools ask for 3 and I send 2, they'll say hell you can't follow directions.  That was pretty much it.

barchk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 09:51:13 PM »
If they ask for three you must send three before they will process your application.  I ran into this problem with a few schools after LSAC lost two of the letters I submitted.  My application was not considered complete and was not reviewed until all required letters had been received.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004, 12:13:50 PM »
Even if a school asks for two, lsac will send all 3 anyway, I'm pretty sure.  Schools will almost always accept an extra rec.  Also, law schools know that you work through lsac, and that some want 3 and others want 2, so they'll never turn away that third rec.

Or, to solve the problem, you can just ask for your third rec to give you some in sealed envelopes you can address, or else give him specific schools to send them too, so you can only send the third to the schools that request them.

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 02:40:26 PM »
[quote author=jacy85 link=topic=3991.msg46631#msg46631
Or, to solve the problem, you can just ask for your third rec to give you some in sealed envelopes you can address, or else give him specific schools to send them too, so you can only send the third to the schools that request them.

I appreciate your addressing the point.  But, most of the schools *require* LSAC for LOR's, ergo they can't receive a 3rd letter directly from me.  It's always somethin'.  So, looks like even the ones that require 2 will get 3. ::)