Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I hate assholes and I want to be a lawyer?  (Read 2251 times)

baileypicks24

• Sr. Citizen
  • You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
I hate assholes and I want to be a lawyer?
« on: June 18, 2004, 11:16:00 AM »
Im a second-year undergraduate student contemplating law school. The thing is, I like being nice. I like helping people. Everything I do is about helping people...I'm a volunteer firefighter, american red cross, you name it. Thats just the person I am. I hate assholes with a passion. They disgust me.

f-ing bastards.

Sorry...but anyways...

It seems as if everywhere I go lawyers have this image of being big assholes.

Now from my common sense I'm figuring this "image" comes primarily from prosecutors and the "BIG CORPORATE" lawyers from Harvard (nothing against harvard! but you see what Im saying?) and such who are making millions for huge malpractice suits against doctors, etc.

Which other specific areas in law don't have this "a-hole image"? Are there any areas out there where I can become involved in a client's life and help them with their problem, their life?

Law facinates me, so this is something I want to do.

There are some independent lawyers and partner lawyers (?) I personally know who have their own offices and buildings and seem to be happy. Which areas are those??

Thanks so much

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: I hate assholes and I want to be a lawyer?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 11:21:26 AM »
nice guys finish last.  if you want to be a good lawyer and help people you have to be an a-hole.

but i happen to like assholes...so i dont know.

seems like youre cut out more for public interest.  most corporate litigation lawyers are assholes.  tax lawyers usually arent, unless youre out of nyu.  then you think youre the *&^% and become an a-hole through the recruiting process. 

just remember this...youre never an a-hole to your client.  youre always helping your client, no matter what the other side thinks.  so in that strange, twisted, and convoluted sense, you can never be an a-hole to your client.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

grahamers

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 11:21:40 AM »
34 years old    170 LSAT 2.33 UGPA
Accepted: Wake, Mason, Catholic, Maryland, Baltimore, WVU, Widener
Waitlisted: American
Dinged: GW, Georgetown
Still haven't heard from: Villanova
Attending Mryland

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 11:22:51 AM »
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Ginatio

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 11:24:18 AM »

Im a second-year undergraduate student contemplating law school. The thing is, I like being nice. I like helping people. Everything I do is about helping people...I'm a volunteer firefighter, american red cross, you name it. Thats just the person I am. I hate assholes with a passion. They disgust me.

f-ing bastards.

Sorry...but anyways...

It seems as if everywhere I go lawyers have this image of being big assholes.

Now from my common sense I'm figuring this "image" comes primarily from prosecutors and the "BIG CORPORATE" lawyers from Harvard (nothing against harvard! but you see what Im saying?) and such who are making millions for huge malpractice suits against doctors, etc.

Which other specific areas in law don't have this "a-hole image"? Are there any areas out there where I can become involved in a client's life and help them with their problem, their life?

Law facinates me, so this is something I want to do.

There are some independent lawyers and partner lawyers (?) I personally know who have their own offices and buildings and seem to be happy. Which areas are those??

Thanks so much

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 11:25:43 AM »
Prosecutors are NOT seen as assholes.  They are some of the most respected people in the field of law.  They work the long hours of firm lawyers, don't get paid nearly as much and make a much bigger impact. 

The main type of lawyers that passages an image to others is personal injury.  However, any public interest lawyers are respect.  In addition, you may want to look into FBI.  They hire a lot of JDs.

There will always be ignorant people that think all lawyers are arrogant jerks.  That is a part of life, no matter what you do.  There are people that think all doctors are quacks.  The most important thing is that YOU know you are making a difference, and that YOU can lay you head down at night.  Don't let other people's ignorant opinion stop you from persuing your dream and making a difference.

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

baileypicks24

• Sr. Citizen
  • You have food, a roof, and security. Shut up.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 11:28:36 AM »
Haha this if f-ing hilarious.

Anybody see Runaway Jury? It seemed like every single person representing big tobacco was evil. However, that one lawyer seemed like a nice guy.

I mean theres no way ALL lawyers are assholes..

Isnt there any area in law where you are protecting your client from these ridiculous suits filed against innoceont people. Justice dammit!!

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 11:30:51 AM »
You're basing your opinion of lawyers based on "Runaway Jury?"  If that's so, then I'm done.

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

Haha this if f-ing hilarious.

Anybody see Runaway Jury? It seemed like every single person representing big tobacco was evil. However, that one lawyer seemed like a nice guy.
I mean theres no way ALL lawyers are assholes..

gooooooo

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.67, OCT. 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 11:32:57 AM »
Firstly, you are clearly retarded.  You will never become a lawyer. 

Secondly, what's wrong with assholes?  They are generally funny IMO.

sodashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 11:33:21 AM »
I don't know how to word this properly... so bear with me.

I work in a huge law firm in Chicago. Their clients range from pro bono work re civil rights or rwanda refugees, to large well known corporations. No matter what size or type of company, they deserve representation and help.

For example, aesbestos... when many of the companies created and used aesbestos the engineers for the companies didn't develop it knowing that it could give people cancer, they didn't think "let's put this on the market so we can hurt or even kill people" but the product was found to be dangerous many years later. Each person affected will sue the companies that produced aesbestos which is understandable but at the same time, the owners of the companies aren't the only ones affected with a lawsuit... their workers, workers families, the engineers... etc. So lawyers are needed to find the best compensation, the best judgment between two parties. Most of the attorneys I work with aren't assholes, they just do their job well.

If you're really interested in helping people directly, you should go into public interest. There are so many different areas of public interest and you could focus on one issue and work in that industry. There are so many different law related jobs out there that working for a firm isn't really all there is. You could also work for a non-profit company such as Consumer's Union.

Also, there isn't just one field that people are happy in. I know many corporate lawyers who aren't assholes who love their job and are extremely happy with it. I guess it's all personal preference. I know many attorneys in public interest who are miserable too... so just do what you want to do after exploring some options in law school, no one can tell you what makes you happy.