Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Spacing trick... will it work  (Read 696 times)

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
Spacing trick... will it work
« on: August 13, 2005, 04:34:22 PM »
I know most PSs are supposed to be double spaced. My PS double spaced is 4 Pages, but that is because i have a quote in the beginning and end of the work that takes up probably a good paragraph combined. If i space my PS 1.5 instead of double, it fits nicely on 3 pages, without crunching the words together. Do you think law schools will look down on this if I do it? will they think im tryin to pull on over on them? Of course i will try to edit my statement down, but if all else fails can i do this?
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

SkullTatt

Re: Spacing trick... will it work
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 04:39:44 PM »
The common sense answer is that they will notice, and possibly be annoyed. Some might hold it against you and some might not care. I would say the more amazing your PS, the more slack they will give you.

karl marx

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 04:41:38 PM »
I know most PSs are supposed to be double spaced. My PS double spaced is 4 Pages, but that is because i have a quote in the beginning and end of the work that takes up probably a good paragraph combined. If i space my PS 1.5 instead of double, it fits nicely on 3 pages, without crunching the words together. Do you think law schools will look down on this if I do it? will they think im tryin to pull on over on them? Of course i will try to edit my statement down, but if all else fails can i do this?

skim it down.  they'll notice.

also, that's a lot of quoting.  maybe use a sentence or two if you must, but the adcomms don't care about what someone else said as much as what you're saying.  also, opening and ending with quotes is boring.  starting with a quote will immediately signal to adcomms; this will be boring, just skim through it.

SkullTatt

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 04:43:52 PM »
Yeah I should add, IMHO, I would not 1.5-space. Cut enough so that you can double-space like you are supposed to.

AlanShore

• Sr. Citizen
  • One day...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 07:33:10 PM »
I wouldn't cut down on the quote becuase you might lose some of the meaning but I would defintely get it down so you could double space it.  Think about it - these people read PS's for a living, they will notice.
Corona Light with Lime:
Bud Select (WL): 3 of them
Warm Busch: Chicago, Columbia, Yale, NYU (:()
Still Brewing: too many to count
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary" - Vince Lombardi
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ChuckNorris

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 07:39:11 PM »
Trim the fat. They will notice. You may be able to squash the quote and trim less content.
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

Intuition

• Sr. Citizen
  • We wander down darkened pathways in a daze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 08:56:34 PM »
Cut the quote.

karl marx

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 11:59:56 PM »
I wouldn't cut down on the quote becuase you might lose some of the meaning

you didn't read what I wrote.  ideally, I'd say cut it out completely.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 12:56:15 AM »
Lose the quote.

newhopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 01:47:03 AM »
I agree... trim the fat.  Don't just use quotes as filler or because you think it's cute.  Make sure everything in your PS, to include the quotes, adds something to the PS overall.  It sounds like you are way off base if you are having problems fitting your PS in 3 pages.  Many schools limit you to only 2 pages.

You have a lot of work to do.  The 1.5 line spacing will not fix your overall problem.  Look at every sentence and word thoroughly.  Ask yourself if it is a must to make your points in the PS.  If not, cut it.

HTH

~newhopeful
Nontrad, URM, 5 yrs WE, LSAT=176, UGPA=2.5 (had a terrible first transitional year, completing UG in 3 years)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=newhopeful