Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice for contacting old prof for LOR  (Read 2902 times)

nathanielmark

Advice for contacting old prof for LOR
« on: June 18, 2004, 10:53:59 AM »
i have been out of school for 4 years.  this is the department head.  i got an A in his class and we were on friendly terms, he def knew my name and called on me from time to time in class.  though we never exactly sat down and had a serious discussion or anything.

he is a very laid back, cool guy and i want to hit him up for an LOR.  campus is too far away to show up at his office, so i thought i would call.  email is probably a bad idea right?  Obviously, that would be the easy way, but maybe not the most effective....

anyway, presumably, i am more likely to get his voicemail then him on the phone, since it is summer and he does not have office hours posted.

do i leave a detailed message telling him exactly why i am calling, or do i just try to remind him of who i am and say something vague like "i wanted to speak to you about something"?

How would you guys handle this?  advice please!

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for contacting old prof for LOR
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 11:13:02 AM »
exact message.  you dont want to be vague when contacting someone from your past that you havent kept in touch with.  they might wonder if there was something wrong and not call you back.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 11:35:26 AM »

so i probably want to just stick to the point right?  dont need to give him my salespitch for why he should write my letter on his voicemail?

exact message.  you dont want to be vague when contacting someone from your past that you havent kept in touch with.  they might wonder if there was something wrong and not call you back.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 11:44:41 AM »

so i probably want to just stick to the point right?  dont need to give him my salespitch for why he should write my letter on his voicemail?

dont try to force him to write one.  just let him know the situation and ask.  its up to him if he wants to do it and how he wants to handle it.   

but definitely stick to the point and leave a detailed message. 

you might also want to try to call his dept to see if he 1) still works there and 2) if he is out for the summer and if so where he can be reached.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

nathanielmark

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 11:59:25 AM »
now i just have to grow some balls and make the phonecall...

dont try to force him to write one.  just let him know the situation and ask.  its up to him if he wants to do it and how he wants to handle it.   

but definitely stick to the point and leave a detailed message. 

you might also want to try to call his dept to see if he 1) still works there and 2) if he is out for the summer and if so where he can be reached.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 01:17:34 PM »
Yeah, I second calling the dept or his secretary or whatever.

And i'd be direct, and to the point in the message, but you don't have to go in great detail, otherwise he'll get bored.

I'd say something like "hi, this is GreenEqsnHam, I graduated from School Univ in 2000, and I took your class "education101".  I received an A.  I am applying to law school in the fall, and was wondering if you could write a recommendation for me.  I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a call at your earliest conviencence to discuss futher.  Thanks very much, and I look forward to speaking with you."

Or something along those lines: short, direct and polite.

nathanielmark

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 01:18:31 PM »

Thanks Jacy, i may print this out and read it off when i call, LOL... 

Yeah, I second calling the dept or his secretary or whatever.

And i'd be direct, and to the point in the message, but you don't have to go in great detail, otherwise he'll get bored.

I'd say something like "hi, this is GreenEqsnHam, I graduated from School Univ in 2000, and I took your class "education101".  I received an A.  I am applying to law school in the fall, and was wondering if you could write a recommendation for me.  I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a call at your earliest conviencence to discuss futher.  Thanks very much, and I look forward to speaking with you."

Or something along those lines: short, direct and polite.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 02:00:44 PM »
lol, glad I could help.  :)  Good luck when you call!

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 05:07:54 PM »
But what if it's been 18 years???? That's a couple of thousand students under the bridge, if you know what I mean.

BFranklin_fan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 09:19:15 PM »
If you email your old prof and ask for a rec, be careful not to spell his name wrong...
That's what I accidentally did today.