Law School Discussion

October or December ?? arrghhh !!!

gadfly

• View Profile
October or December ?? arrghhh !!!
« on: August 13, 2005, 09:34:04 AM »
I realize this is somewhat of an LSAT topic but is there really a big difference in applying after your October lsat or after the December lsat. I've been set to take the october lsat and send all my stuff by the end of the month. I need more time to study so I'm making it December. Ofcourse I've heard in submitting application the earlier the better but will it make a big diff in my chances if I wait until December to submit my applications rather than october ???

thanks in advance.

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: October or December ?? arrghhh !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 11:03:12 AM »
I got waitlisted at schools where I should have been an auto admit because I applied in late December/early January.  The Dean at one of my schools even told me "had you applied earlier, this wouldn't have happened".

If you can swing it, get the apps in earlier and take the test in October.

jeb240

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 07:10:54 PM »
I said this in a post yesterday, so subsequent readers, forgive me if this all seems like old hat to you...

But I met with an adcomm at Columbia yesterday afternoon who told me that just that day she'd had to reject some people from the waitlist who had applied in January who she was certain would have gotten in if they'd applied in November.  And since she's one of the ones making the decision, I'm willing to accept her "certainty" as law and will be cranking out my apps as fast as humanly possible after I get my October scores.

supergirluw

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 09:46:01 PM »
you can always take the october lsat, apply, and then retake the lsat if its not high enough. most apps have a space to include your plans of a future lsat - adcoms can then choose to waitlist you until your next lsat with the "she's great, but her lsat...." and then you get just 4 or 5 points higher, and you're in. The best you can do is allow yourself to give them your app and allow them to see YOU - the score can come later (assuming its not a 125...and even then, a 170 in december with an addendum - they will let you add a page to your file if you ask - will help.)

Geddon187

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 10:29:54 PM »
I realize this is somewhat of an LSAT topic but is there really a big difference in applying after your October lsat or after the December lsat. I've been set to take the october lsat and send all my stuff by the end of the month. I need more time to study so I'm making it December. Ofcourse I've heard in submitting application the earlier the better but will it make a big diff in my chances if I wait until December to submit my applications rather than october ???

thanks in advance.

Don't take the LSAT if you aren't ready for it. If you @#!* it up, that limits your options more than if you apply later. You just have to weigh how much you think that you can improve vs. the cost of applying a little later. The major difference is if you don't do well on the LSAT, it will be on your applications for three years, but if you apply later, you'll still have the option to apply early next year. If you think that you have reached a plateau, then definitely take it in October. The value of a competitive LSAT score far outweighs the value of applying early, because applying early with a crappy LSAT score is just going to get you dinged faster.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 11:00:46 PM »
I am in the same boat you are - to take the Lsat in Oct or Dec. I decided to take it in December. I refuse to be rushed. I know someone who applied late (im thinking after jan) and got in a couple places and waitlisted at Harvard. Granted, her #'s were awesome.

http://www.deloggio.com/how&when/how&when.htm

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 04:29:50 PM »
I'd say take it in October with out hesitation.  You still have a month and a half and that's all you really need to study for the test.  Personally I "overstudied" if that makes any sense and saw my scores peak then fall.  Had I done it again, I would have studied for about 7 or eight weeks and been done with it.  There's not all that much skillwise to learn for the test.  Good luck!

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 12:10:40 PM »
I wouldn't make the decision now. Continue prepping over the next couple of weeks and see if you feel you can take it in October. If at that point you feel your score could significantly improve by waiting, I would. Remember also, if you plan now to take it in December you are really leaving yourself backed into a corner. I have thought about this a lot because I have no choice (will be out of the country for the October test). If you just take the December, you can't cancel no matter what. If you are sick that week, have a family emergency, doesn't matter because it is your last chance.

jeb240

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 03:25:34 PM »
I wouldn't make the decision now. Continue prepping over the next couple of weeks and see if you feel you can take it in October. If at that point you feel your score could significantly improve by waiting, I would. Remember also, if you plan now to take it in December you are really leaving yourself backed into a corner. I have thought about this a lot because I have no choice (will be out of the country for the October test). If you just take the December, you can't cancel no matter what. If you are sick that week, have a family emergency, doesn't matter because it is your last chance.

Why don't you take the test wherever you're going to be in October, assuming you can?  I'm studying abroad this term, and I'll be taking the Oct. LSAT in Paris.  Or are you some place far cooler and less convetional and getting to an lsat test would require overcoming some hurdles?

gadfly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 05:28:28 PM »
I'd say take it in October with out hesitation.  You still have a month and a half and that's all you really need to study for the test.  Personally I "overstudied" if that makes any sense and saw my scores peak then fall.  Had I done it again, I would have studied for about 7 or eight weeks and been done with it.  There's not all that much skillwise to learn for the test.  Good luck!

Hey thanks guys. I'll definately hit the books for the next month and a half and will sign up for the October test. Considering what some of you have said about being waitlisted if you wait later to apply than it looks like I don't have a choice  :-\

Hey jeb, from what I understand you can take your lsat wherever you are. If you happen to be in Mongolia and no lsat centers exist, I believe you have to pay something like $300 to set one up near you, well in advance ofcourse, and voila, you're on your way.

I  have one last question: for those of you who've been studying for the october test, how long have you been studying for?

thanks again.