Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Whittier Law School on ABA Probation  (Read 816 times)

carpe diem

• View Profile
Whittier Law School on ABA Probation
« on: August 13, 2005, 11:31:47 AM »
[Source: American Bar Association]

At its meeting on August 4-5, 2005, the Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar determined to place Whittier Law School, located in Costa Mesa, California, on probation for a period of two years, effective August 9, 2005.

[Source: Whittier Law School]

American Bar Association Accreditation Status

On August 9, the American Bar Association placed Whittier Law School's accreditation on a probationary status for a period of up to 2 years. The ABA cited the school's first-time bar passage rates as the reason for its decision. While on probation, the law school remains an ABA accredited law school. Under the ABA's rules, all students who enter and/or graduate during this period are considered to have graduated from an ABA accredited law school. During the probationary period, the ABA will be overseeing our efforts to come into compliance with its standards regarding bar passage.

Whittier Law School feels that this decision is unwarranted and unnecessary and has so responded to the ABA. First-time bar passage rates at WLS have gone up 10.5 points between July 2003 and 2004, and 9 points between February 2004 and 2005. Over the years, the ABA has lauded our academic program and current course initiatives and we believe that we are in compliance with the ABA's rules. We intend to continue our aggressive effort to demonstrate our compliance with ABA regulations.

I'm not sure about the past history of ABA Probation, but currently, this is the only law school that is currently on probation by the ABA. It's a huge embarrassment to the school as well as its students, but especially for those ILs who have already committed and are beginning their orientation this week. Announced less than 2 weeks before the official start of classes, I can only imagine what a tremendous 11-th hour blow to their spirits this must be. Should Whittier Law School, a 4th tier law school, now be avoided by prospective law students in the midst of this embarrassment?

???  ???  ???

S.J.

• Sr. Citizen
  • That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
Re: Whittier Law School on ABA Probation
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 02:04:31 PM »
[Source: American Bar Association]

At its meeting on August 4-5, 2005, the Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar determined to place Whittier Law School, located in Costa Mesa, California, on probation for a period of two years, effective August 9, 2005.

[Source: Whittier Law School]

American Bar Association Accreditation Status

On August 9, the American Bar Association placed Whittier Law School's accreditation on a probationary status for a period of up to 2 years. The ABA cited the school's first-time bar passage rates as the reason for its decision. While on probation, the law school remains an ABA accredited law school. Under the ABA's rules, all students who enter and/or graduate during this period are considered to have graduated from an ABA accredited law school. During the probationary period, the ABA will be overseeing our efforts to come into compliance with its standards regarding bar passage.

Whittier Law School feels that this decision is unwarranted and unnecessary and has so responded to the ABA. First-time bar passage rates at WLS have gone up 10.5 points between July 2003 and 2004, and 9 points between February 2004 and 2005. Over the years, the ABA has lauded our academic program and current course initiatives and we believe that we are in compliance with the ABA's rules. We intend to continue our aggressive effort to demonstrate our compliance with ABA regulations.

I'm not sure about the past history of ABA Probation, but currently, this is the only law school that is currently on probation by the ABA. It's a huge embarrassment to the school as well as its students, but especially for those ILs who have already committed and are beginning their orientation this week. Announced less than 2 weeks before the official start of classes, I can only imagine what a tremendous 11-th hour blow to their spirits this must be. Should Whittier Law School, a 4th tier law school, now be avoided by prospective law students in the midst of this embarrassment?

???  ???  ???

If someone didn't care before that the school was low-ranked and had bad bar passage rates, I'm not sure why they should care now.
T25 or bust

carpe diem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 02:58:00 PM »
Even so, don't you think that a student who may have once considered Whittier Law School would need to reconsider his or her decision since, albeit remote, there is a chance that the law school may lose its ABA accreditation?

SkullTatt

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 04:47:34 PM »
Going to a law school that is in danger of losing its accreditation is not a gamble I would take. But then again, I wouldn't go to an FTT either, I would find some other career, unless I was just getting a degree so I could work for my father's law firm/Fortune 500 company. In which case I would not give a f*ck.

Julee Fern

• Sr. Citizen
  • be cheerleader for al qaeda and osama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 01:19:05 AM »
Going to a law school that is in danger of losing its accreditation is not a gamble I would take. But then again, I wouldn't go to an FTT either, I would find some other career, unless I was just getting a degree so I could work for my father's law firm/Fortune 500 company. In which case I would not give a f*ck.

Julee love Seth Cohen. You like big girl?
goooooo al qaeda!  gooooooo bin laden!  go, go, osama bin laden!

never mind all people you killing senselessly--that just more that silly conservative thinking.  what important is scooter libby and cheney's former employers.  beeeeeeee substantive!