Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Harvard or UNC  (Read 2095 times)

BIG H2001

• UNC 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Harvard or UNC
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2005, 12:05:38 AM »
Otherwise, you will be making life considerably more difficult for yourself (in fact, it might be easier for you to get a government job without going to law school than if you had gone to UNC ... by moving to DC and finding internships until you build the connections for full-time employment).

But the odds suggest that HLS and YLS grads are much, much more likely to get these jobs (If I had to quantify it, I'd say the advantage is between 500% and 1000% for mid-range jobs and significantly higher for top jobs).

This is just the type of foolish prestige whoring that fireplace was talking about.  There really is no fact to your assumptions.  With the right connections, there are plenty of doors open in D.C. for a UNC graduate.  How in the hell could you work in a government legal position if you just moved to D.C. and got some internships without going to law school. 

I'm done with this thread too.  It never met it's original purpose and now it's just getting too subjective and off track.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2005, 12:40:48 AM »
But without those "right" connections, the Harvard name is going to grant one many more opportunities than UNC will, as good as UNC may be.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

V00Jeff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2005, 08:26:54 AM »
Otherwise, you will be making life considerably more difficult for yourself (in fact, it might be easier for you to get a government job without going to law school than if you had gone to UNC ... by moving to DC and finding internships until you build the connections for full-time employment).

But the odds suggest that HLS and YLS grads are much, much more likely to get these jobs (If I had to quantify it, I'd say the advantage is between 500% and 1000% for mid-range jobs and significantly higher for top jobs).

This is just the type of foolish prestige whoring that fireplace was talking about.  There really is no fact to your assumptions.  With the right connections, there are plenty of doors open in D.C. for a UNC graduate.  How in the hell could you work in a government legal position if you just moved to D.C. and got some internships without going to law school. 

I'm done with this thread too.  It never met it's original purpose and now it's just getting too subjective and off track.

I didn't say government legal position ... I said that it'd be easier to get a job with the government.  Obviously, I meant in some non-legal capacity.

You want some more evidence?  Last year, the State Department's Office of Legal Advisor interviewed 23 CLS 2L's.  Out of those 23, only 1 got a callback.  If CLS students find it this difficult to get a job in the federal government, do you really think that a UNC grad could do it?  Now, I admit that the OLA is one of the toughest legal jobs to get, but I think that similar scenarios play out at the other, slightly less selective government agencies as well.
Attending: Columbia

thenextstep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2005, 09:10:08 AM »
I think, going back to the original question, that where you go matters less than we seem to think on this board.  But regardless of the truth of that statment, the way to find out if you are going to be happy *and* able to get a job from a school is to do as much research about the schools you are interested in as possible.  Call the career services offices and talk to them about placement.  They usually keep good stats there.  Also, ask admissions or career services to be put in touch with 2L and 3L students who share your interests and ambitions and talk with them about their perceived chances and their summer opportunities.  Mostly VISIT schools before you make a decision because Harvard may offer you tons of chances for jobs but if it will make you miserable to be there, that would be a hard 3 years.

space wrangler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2005, 10:06:51 AM »
Depending you one's situation, I think the best policy is to go the best ranked school where you feel comfortable.  Cost be damned.

d1337

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2005, 10:20:51 AM »
harvard or unc? 

the fact that you actually asked this question shows that you won't have the option. enjoy north carolina. 

nubova

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2005, 11:18:54 AM »
I think the best advice is to listen to yourself explain your situation. I used to justify why I should take BC over Vandy over and over again in my head until I realised that if I really wanted to be at BC, then why the hell do I keep torturing myself because of a magazine ranking. Go where you feel you want to be. I am so happy that I choose BC over Vandy and would do it again in a heartbeat. The point is, you have to listen to your gut when making this decision. If you are constantly leaning one way whenever you compare two schools, then you probably should attend that school that you are always viewing favorably. Listen to yourself explain your situation to others and you will find that you probably have already made the decision subconciously and now you are just trying to justify it. :)

d1337

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2005, 11:21:51 AM »
I think the best advice is to listen to yourself explain your situation. I used to justify why I should take BC over Vandy over and over again in my head until I realised that if I really wanted to be at BC, then why the hell do I keep torturing myself because of a magazine ranking. Go where you feel you want to be. I am so happy that I choose BC over Vandy and would do it again in a heartbeat. The point is, you have to listen to your gut when making this decision. If you are constantly leaning one way whenever you compare two schools, then you probably should attend that school that you are always viewing favorably. Listen to yourself explain your situation to others and you will find that you probably have already made the decision subconciously and now you are just trying to justify it. :)

The difference between bc and vandy and that between H or unc is not comparable.  Plus, his personal goals indicate H would be much better choice. 

nubova

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2005, 12:02:10 PM »
I got the impression that he really wanted to attend UVA, not UNC. And yes, the difference between UVA and Harvard is much more substantial, but still, he should go where he feels happy.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2005, 12:05:11 PM »
unc is "harvard of southeastern north carolina."