Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: gmail  (Read 3320 times)

ruskiegirl

Re: gmail
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2004, 02:09:00 AM »
Here's an interesting article about the potential privacy issues and abuse of gmail.  What do those of you that have it think?  Did anyone actually read the user agreement carefully?

http://gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

Eh, looks like it's just a bunch of people who hated google before, hate google now, and will probably hate it in the future.  I've never really understood the bizzare underworld that wants nothing more than for google to dissappear
You don't think the privacy considerations they bring up are legit?

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2004, 08:53:36 AM »
You don't think the privacy considerations they bring up are legit?

A representative sample of how the website is written:

"If Google builds a database of keywords associated with email addresses, the potential for abuse is staggering. Google could grow a database..." (Emphasis Added)

The entire article is based on conspiracy theory-esque 'potentials' for abuse by Google, not any actual facts.  None of it is any different than what any other e-mail provider *could* do if they wanted to.  Hence why I don't think the privacy concerns are all that legit.

headmachine

• Sr. Citizen
  • new
    • AOL Instant Messenger - edhouse616
    • View Profile
    • my life
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2004, 03:28:41 PM »
i want gmail =( one of my friends got an account yesterday and they say its kewl =(

:o

o also i want some stock options for google...neone want to sell me some?  :-*
ROAR for LLS 2005
*SLY*

headmachine

• Sr. Citizen
  • new
    • View Profile
    • my life
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2004, 04:34:13 PM »
i want gmail =( one of my friends got an account yesterday and they say its kewl =(

:o

o also i want some stock options for google...neone want to sell me some?  :-*

thx for the hookupz bro  :-*
ROAR for LLS 2005
*SLY*

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2004, 04:40:43 PM »
I love gmail and how it has already impacted our capitalist ways.  It is about time the other carriers started giving more memory..........
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

corleone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2004, 04:44:48 PM »
If anyone has any g-mail invites left, please email me at cauerbach@iarlaw.com .  I will make it worth your while!!!!

C.

p.s. anyonekn ow when the ipo is gunna drop?

farnsworth

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Good news everyone!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2004, 05:09:20 PM »
That's gonna be the worst IPO ever to purchase stock in.  Techies and novelty investors are going to push the initial price WAY above what it ought to be if 'serious' investors were the only ones putting money in.  Then, somewhere between a few days and a few months, the stock'll undergo a correction and plenty of people will lose money on it.

Plus, even if you don't buy that, their method of IPO is going to inherently put the stock at an overpriced value.  They're using an auction method, whereby individuals submit bid prices, and they calculate the actual price as the highest price that will sell all shares available.  As any econ student (at least any that has studied game theory/behavioral economics) will tell you, that means that those who win suffer from the 'winners curse'- the winner's opinions of what the stock is worth fall on the high end of the overall spectrum, and end up being higher than the 'actual' value once all investors are taken into account.

Great search company, but terrible IPO opportunity...

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2004, 05:30:53 PM »
if anyone wants a gmail account, let me know.  i have 2 left.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

headmachine

• Sr. Citizen
  • new
    • View Profile
    • my life
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2004, 06:50:50 PM »
im using it but im kinda waiting for the bells and whistles  :-\

heh but on the bright side, i did get my lsd namesake as my address name...which is pretty pimp...does that mean theres no size limit on file transfers? i wonder how long it would be to send a gig of movies to my friend  ???

:-*
ROAR for LLS 2005
*SLY*

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2004, 06:56:16 PM »
Gmail shows its convenience when you start having "conversations."  You'll see.  I think its biggest push is the gig of memory.
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!