Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What T14 Schools Look at the Whole App and Which are Numbers Whores?  (Read 1185 times)

3ML

• View Profile
    • Email
I've seen several people mention that Michigan takes a more holistic approach to applications, but I'm wondering if any other schools are known to base their decisions on the whole app rather than just numbers.

I have excellent LORs, strong soft factors and what I (and several profs who have read it) consider to be a very strong PS. However, my stats (3.1 and 161/170) aren't very impressive.

I know Georgetown, NW and Cornell look at your highest LSAT and I'll be applying there as well. However, Cornell doesn't seem to like GPAs below 3.3 at all (which sucks considering it would be my second choice). Any others in the top 14 that I should be playing close attention to?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: What T14 Schools Look at the Whole App and Which are Numbers Whores?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 12:25:48 AM »
They are all numbers whores.  Generally, the larger the school, the more whorish it is.  A 3.1 will most likely preclude you from the t14.  You have to give them a reason to look beyond the numbers.  If you have WE, send an app to Northwestern.

3ML

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 01:46:28 AM »
I have lots of reasons for them to look beyond numbers. I have WE, I'm an international applicant and I have incredible amounts of ECs. I also worked full-time through college. The main reason for my poor GPA is also first year, it's significantly higher since then.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 02:06:48 AM »
I still wouldn't count on the t14, but if you have the money, there is no harm in applying.  Good luck.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 02:08:52 AM »
Georgetown=big numbers whore.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

S.J.

• Sr. Citizen
  • That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 11:53:33 AM »
I've seen several people mention that Michigan takes a more holistic approach to applications, but I'm wondering if any other schools are known to base their decisions on the whole app rather than just numbers.

I have excellent LORs, strong soft factors and what I (and several profs who have read it) consider to be a very strong PS. However, my stats (3.1 and 161/170) aren't very impressive.

I know Georgetown, NW and Cornell look at your highest LSAT and I'll be applying there as well. However, Cornell doesn't seem to like GPAs below 3.3 at all (which sucks considering it would be my second choice). Any others in the top 14 that I should be playing close attention to?

All top schools require strong numbers.  Of those, the top publics tend to be somewhat more GPA focused, and a bit less LSAT focused (especially Boalt).  They also appear to look beyond the numbers a little more. 

I'd apply everywhere in the T14 just to maximize your odds, and I'd also apply to schools like USC, Fordham, etc.
T25 or bust

hectic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 02:38:05 PM »
A 3.1 will most likely preclude you from the t14.

Do you mean in general, or in this specific case (with a 3.1/170 split)?  Because if you mean the latter, that's just not true.  There are plenty of people with 3.1-or-less/170-or-better splits that have gotten into t14s (a quick glance at LSN can tell you that). 

To the OP, do you have work experience?  If so, NW's big on WE, and 3.1/170+work experience would make you competitive; even without the WE you'd certainly have your app looked at.  3.1/170 doesn't preclude you from a Georgetown acceptance, especially if you apply early enough, but like anything it's far from a guarantee.  Personally, I'd also apply to Duke: they publicly say they average scores, but I've also heard otherwise, and their 75th percentile LSAT is a 169.  Worth a shot, at least.  Good luck!
3.11/166

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 03:04:42 PM »

Do you mean in general, or in this specific case (with a 3.1/170 split)?  Because if you mean the latter, that's just not true.  There are plenty of people with 3.1-or-less/170-or-better splits that have gotten into t14s (a quick glance at LSN can tell you that). 

Don't forget: the O.P. also has a 161. So he is 3.1/161,170.

Exactly.

hectic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 03:24:29 PM »

To the OP, do you have work experience?  If so, NW's big on WE, and 3.1/170+work experience would make you competitive; even without the WE you'd certainly have your app looked at.  3.1/170 doesn't preclude you from a Georgetown acceptance, especially if you apply early enough, but like anything it's far from a guarantee.  Personally, I'd also apply to Duke: they publicly say they average scores, but I've also heard otherwise, and their 75th percentile LSAT is a 169.  Worth a shot, at least.  Good luck!

Don't forget:  the O.P. also has a 161.  So he is 3.1/161,170. 

At schools that take the highest, is there a difference between a 161+170 and just a 170?  I've never gotten a straight answer to that.  Do they have to report the average to USNews?
3.11/166

BigSplitDC

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 03:35:30 PM »
They claim to report the average - though this is a self-reported number.  I wouldn't be surprised if there was some fudging with the details.

I guarantee that if US News dropped the averaging requirement, almost all law schools would take the highest score.