Law School Discussion

Teaching for Kaplan

_EKC_

• LisBeth
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching for Kaplan
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2005, 12:10:19 PM »
I qualify for TM/PS, but they only have one TM course in my area, and they aren't hiring right now.

and thanks  :-*

_EKC_

• LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 10:48:14 AM »
so, i had my first class last night. it actually was pretty interesting. there is a lot of time spent on having the other students teach, which is cool because you can see your mistakes before you make them. i thought it was interesting at least.

the only thing that is difficult is that it's really time consuming - outside of class, which is 4 hours on 5 different nights, you have a lot of prepping - probably 5-6 hours between classes. you get paid for all of it, although only at the $7/hour pay rate. i honestly don't mind - i think prepping the lessons is fun, and i enjoyed studying for the lsat too:)

Leshy

• Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 10:54:20 AM »
Good post and thanks for the info.  Could you tell me what you do for the prepping, though?  I mean, once I start, I'm sure I'll know what to do and how to go about it.  I was just wondering what it is that you do to prepare for an upcoming class.  Thanks for the help.

lawgirl79

• The real man of the house....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 10:55:04 AM »
Peshy -

You are right about the writing sample.  Just had my Kaplan class last night, and after a quick RC section, we spent the 2nd half on how and what to write.  What a waste.

_EKC_

• LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 11:07:24 AM »
for prepping, it's up to you how to do it, but they recommend a certain highlighting method. beyond that, you want to transfer whatever is helpful in the "teachers pages" into the margins of the students pages - which still have pointers on them. we have watched a number of videos of good teachers, too. for me, the prepping is going to be understanding the passages, then marking them up with notes of things i want to point out, etc, then practicing teaching it to myself at least twice (unless my mom wants to learn, then i'll teach it to her). they do check your books to make sure you are actively prepping them, but you don't have to follow the exact structure that they use, although it is easy. There are also online assignments and preview readings that are discussed during class and turned in. i had my first session on sunday, and my second last night, so they didn't have me really prep anything besides the preview readings. but last night i prepped the first section in about an hour before i went to bed, if that gives you an idea of the amount of work. as the sessions go on, the sections that you have to prep get longer, until by session 5 you are prepping an entire lesson.

Leshy

• Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005, 11:19:53 AM »
Peshy -

You are right about the writing sample.  Just had my Kaplan class last night, and after a quick RC section, we spent the 2nd half on how and what to write.  What a waste.

Don't you wish you had me?  ;)

Just kidding, I'm sure you'll be fine.  Good luck studying.

Leshy

• Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2005, 11:30:12 AM »
EKC, I appreciate your help and honesty, but this seems like quite a bit of work.  Peshy did not sign up for all this darn :(

When I TAed econ, I taught 2 sections, one on Mondays and one on Wednesday.  I always prepared the Monday lessons the night before.  At first, it took me like an hour and a half to do it.  After a few weeks though, I was preparing lessons in 15 minutes.  I always used the same thing for my Wednesday classes, tweaking a few things slightly to make it better.  I'm sure (hoping) that the same thing happens with the Kaplan prepping... it's like the same thing as studying for the LSAT, once you do something over and over, you naturally learn how to do it better and you become faster at it.....

_EKC_

• LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2005, 11:43:45 AM »
yeah, i didn't sign up for this much work either, but you basically have to do it to pass the training class. but you're right - after watching the first class, i already know how to prepare for the sections that the other student taught. i'm assuming it will take me about an hour each for the other sections that i have to prepare, but after i've done a couple successfully, seems like they'll take less time. plus, the first time, you're expected to go over things like online resources, library resources, etc which means you have to learn all of that stuff first. and of course, the next time you teach the class, it'll only take you a few minutes to go over your notes from the last time.

AlanShore

• One day...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2005, 07:45:14 PM »
How much do you all get paid for that teaching?

_EKC_

• LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 06:30:13 AM »
the prep work and training time is paid at $7 per hour, which is low, i know. the first class that you teach i believe is paid at $15 per hour, plus you still get paid $7/hour for your out of class prep time. I believe that after the first class, your pay goes up to $18 per hour (if you get good reviews), and you have the ability to make more than that as time goes by. tutoring is also at a higher rate - i believe it starts at $20 per hour.