Law School Discussion

Teaching for Kaplan

_EKC_

• LisBeth
    • View Profile
Teaching for Kaplan
« on: August 12, 2005, 02:42:10 PM »
Has anyone else done this? I start the training this weekend. I know the pay is crap for training, but the pay for the classes os pretty good. Anyways, just wondering if it was a good experience.

Thanks!

Leshy

• Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching for Kaplan
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 04:27:07 PM »
I just auditioned for them 2 weeks ago and got the job, but I didn't start the training yet.  I'm kinda pissed off because I wanted to do the training over the summer and get that out of the way, so I could teach classes fall semester once I got to school.  None of the current class schedules work out for me though (they run well into September and I'd have to move to school by then) so I have to wait to get to school and do my training there.  All this basically means is that I won't be able to teach any LSAT classes at all until I get to school 2nd semester in the spring, which is such a waste of time...

Sorry for going off on that rant.  Anyway, good to see another Kaplan instructor on the board.  Let me know what you do during the training sessions, because I have no idea what to expect.  I was thinking the other day that I'd probably be using all these PowerScore methods during class (since I learned the LSAT from the bibles) and have no idea how Kaplan teaches games or LR and everything... it should be fun though, I'm really looking forward to it.....

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 04:34:19 PM »
Princeton Review and Kaplan strategy to the LSAT:

SKIP THE HARD QUESTIONS!

(from my TM instructor who taught for one of the two afforementioned prep companies)

John Galt

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 04:38:15 PM »
I have an audition is september.

ElizaB

• What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 04:43:49 PM »
I took the Princeton Review class and later taught for Kaplan. The strategies of both are very similar (IMHO) and their strategy was not to skip the hard questions.  Infact, both companies tell their students to never skip a question but to always answer it.

I enjoyed teaching the Kaplan class, but I don't think the $ was worth the amount of time that I put into it. The money may be okay for an undergrad. student who wants a part-time job for beer money, but I would not say it was worth it for someone already in the workforce or for someone in law school. Your time is way more valueable than the $400 or $500 or so they will pay you for teaching a class (and by a class, I mean the whole multi-week class, not just one session).

_EKC_

• LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 04:51:57 PM »
thanks for the insight. i already work full time, but i'm hoping to use the kaplan money for random spending money. the hourly pay is still more than my regular low paying job, and it's way better than any other part time gig i could find besides tutoring on my own, which would be hard to do, and horseback riding lessons, which i already do, but get quiet in the winter.

so far what really gets me is that we only make $7 an hour to train. I understand their strategy, but I think they would come away with more quality teachers for at least $10 an hour.

Peshy, I'm also wondering if I will end up coming back to PS strategies, since I took the weekend course, but I'm pretty sure we'll be taught NOT to do that.

Anyways, I have my first training session Sunday - they already started a class, and they're going to give me private training in order to catch me up - so I'll let you guys know afterwards what it's like.

J D

• Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 05:08:33 PM »
They also pay for out of class hours.  So put everything you can into that prep time!

Leshy

• Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 05:10:40 PM »
Peshy, I'm also wondering if I will end up coming back to PS strategies, since I took the weekend course, but I'm pretty sure we'll be taught NOT to do that.

I'm sure they'll tell us that before we actually start teaching, but something inside me says that by the second class or so, it'll be "advanced linear" instead of "hybrid" and "justify the conclusion" instead of whatever stuff Kaplan calls it (I think they just lump it in with assumption questions)... I probably also won't spend much time on the writing sample...I've heard of horror stories of Kaplan instructors spending an entire lesson on the writing sample!  what a waste... my approach is to help the students as much as possible, and if I happen to deviate a bit from the prescribed Kaplan methodologies, well, so be it... at least the students will be more satisfied with the course.....

_EKC_

• LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 05:26:09 PM »
yeah, the schedule shows a whole lesson on the writing sample. and they do pay for out of class prep time, but it's only $7/hour again.

S.J.

• That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 09:47:24 AM »
Has anyone else done this? I start the training this weekend. I know the pay is darn for training, but the pay for the classes os pretty good. Anyways, just wondering if it was a good experience.

Thanks!

Hey, cute pic.

My understanding of Kaplan is that they pretty much rape you in comparison to TestMasters and Powerscore, where they actually pay you a decent wage. 

The most glaring example of this is private tutoring, where they charge like $150 an hour, and pay the tutor $20.  There's something wrong with that, in my opinion. 

However, they do pay better than most college gigs, so if you can't get in with the former two companies (which are in fact harder to get into), than it's probably better than flipping burgers.