Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NT Applicant Seeking MAJOR Advice  (Read 905 times)

JazzHat

• View Profile
NT Applicant Seeking MAJOR Advice
« on: August 12, 2005, 04:42:10 PM »
Hi LSD,

I currently am working in the sciences and was a graduate in 2001 with a Double Major in Biochem/Cell Bio and Neuropharm with a Minor in humanities. I intend to apply for bc my job right now is a blast and deals with law.  The LORs, however, have got me stumped. I can email profs and deans back in my undergrad days but, since it was long ago, would such lack substance? Moreover, I dropped out of pharm school in 2003 to take care of my father and never looked back bc I found a flexible job that pays well and allows me to take care of him. Long story short,  I took a couple classes recently (2004-ish) to refresh my head. Should I get recs from those newly took classes even though I received B+'s? How would add coms look upon this? And, do you guys and gals have any suggestions for the LORs or my slant on the application itself?

Lastly, would I be a competitive applicant being that my GPA in undergrad was a 3.01, my majors where in the sciences, and the mess that transpired? What should I focus on in my PS and app? Addendum?

Thanks as always everyone,
jK.

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
Re: NT Applicant Seeking MAJOR Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 09:18:00 PM »
LORs does not have to be from professors.  But it should be written by  someone who would know you and your character.  Since most applicants are recent graduates, it's easiler for them to get LORs from professors.  If possible, you should get a spilt ( 1 from former professor, 1 from current supervisor).  If not possible to get one from professor, then find two people who knows you on a personal level that would be in position to judge your character, morals, fitness to be in law school, etc.

Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

JazzHat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 03:09:03 AM »
appreciate it, casper... thanks

asv1111

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 11:28:09 PM »
Focus on your LSAT score.  It's probably the single biggest factor.  Why are you worried about your LOR!?!

up_late

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 01:12:56 AM »
Yep, the LSAT is a critical factor.  Order the Actual LSATs from LSAC, and practice, practice, practice them.  You can raise your score substantially with practice.

Your major is fine, especially if you're thinking of patent law.  Firms LOVE people who can take the patent bar.  And the science background will be fine for law school itself -- law is a new way of thinking for everybody.

For the personal statement, it sounds like you've got great material to work with.  Law schools just want to see an interesting person with a genuine interest in becoming a lawyer.  So all you have to do is explain how much you enjoy your job and how you plan to use that experience in your career as a lawyer.  Providing a very brief explanation of why you dropped out of pharmacy school is a good idea, just so they don't get the wrong idea.