Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FAFSA Deadline  (Read 1861 times)

frankm007

FAFSA Deadline
« on: August 12, 2005, 04:38:07 PM »
When can I start filling out FAFSA for Fall 06? I suppose i need this completed before applications or as I send applications no?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: FAFSA Deadline
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 04:43:33 PM »
The FAFSA isn't available until January 1st.

JeffTL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 07:49:08 PM »
I have one question to tack on -- do you need to fill out the FAFSA to be eligible for merit-based scholarships?

Thanks!

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 08:43:49 PM »
I have one question to tack on -- do you need to fill out the FAFSA to be eligible for merit-based scholarships?

Thanks!

Nope.

RUSewCrazy

• 2.6/163
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 10:47:31 PM »
It can't be filled out until your 2005 tax return is complete. I think you can go ahead and get your pin now though.

Ceggon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 04:53:13 PM »
It can't be filled out until your 2005 tax return is complete. I think you can go ahead and get your pin now though.

Technically it CAN, but you have to put in the estimated numbers and then send them the info with the actually figures once you complete your tax return. The only reason this could be significant is if your school or state has a fafsa filing deadline that is earlier than tax day and you are either a slacker or having paperwork issues. I encountered this during undergrad, so I'd encourage you to at least take a peek at this link http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/before003a.htm. If you have to get it filed before your taxes are done, just estimate and update later. Its a hassle, but you don't miss the filing deadline for your state or school... which can be deadly.
Attending: University of Washington,
Withdrawn: Lewis & Clark, Michigan

I sacked up and made the hard decision that I feel will be the best for me and mine. Someone else can freeze their balls or unmentionables off in Michigan! :)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Ceggon

chrisfield

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 09:53:13 AM »
How do schools figure your need if you can't even do the FAFSA until the spring?

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 12:34:10 AM »
by jan, you should be able to give a pretty good guesstimate of your financial numbers (total up your pay stubs, or trust fund payments, or sugarmomma/poppa receipts ;)), a few hundred dollars here or there *shouldn't* make that big a difference in what you are getting from schools. i def would NOT wait until late spring..

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 09:33:38 PM »
I have never seen a FAFSA.  Are we required to list the value of trust funds if we are not recieving payments from them?

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 10:54:14 PM »
the fafsa questionnaire might answer that more seriously than i could...since the thought of a trust fund in my own life reduces me to hysterical laughter. i have a better chance of getting into yale. sigh.