Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Score swings  (Read 3249 times)

Lawyerr

• View Profile
Score swings
« on: August 12, 2005, 12:17:16 PM »
I feel like quitting. My last 5 practice tests went 168,168,168,168,171. Last night - 163. Had it been the real deal, I wouldnt be going to law school. (Ive got a 3.16) It wasnt a bad night or anything, I just caught some tough breaks on top of the usual mistakes. Anyone else experience this? The gravity of this test and the possibility of an 8 point swing scares me to death.
I'd rather model harmonica holders - Bob Dylan

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
Re: Score swings
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 12:21:06 PM »
I feel like quitting. My last 5 practice tests went 168,168,168,168,171. Last night - 163. Had it been the real deal, I wouldnt be going to law school. (Ive got a 3.16) It wasnt a bad night or anything, I just caught some tough breaks on top of the usual mistakes. Anyone else experience this? The gravity of this test and the possibility of an 8 point swing scares me to death.

Are you doing older tests first? The more recent exams are a little bit different and take getting used to.
Who's your Daddy now?

Lawyerr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 12:56:18 PM »
Those are from the first book, 10 actual, tests 2-6. Ive read that newer ones are harder on the reasoning and reading, and easier on the games, which, unfortunately, works against me. That said, part of the reason I did so bad on the last practice test is cause I was helpless on one of the games. I would imagine swings are more likely on the newer tests, due to more vague LR questions and more dense RC passages.

SkullTatt

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 01:32:31 PM »
I've said it before on here, my future is probably going to depend on one logic game. I.e. if there is one I totally can't do, I am screwed.

loveless

• Sr. Citizen
  • Law school is NICE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 08:28:26 AM »
The weekend before the test, I started getting 50% or less on the games section. On the test, I got one question wrong in the entire LG section.

The answer: you may be hitting a wall. Take a step away for a bit. Ignore the LSAT for a few days and come back to it. Obviously, you have the ability to score well. You just need to keep yourself in the right mindframe to do so.
"Pre-tay, pre-tay, pre-tay good."

Attending: Michigan.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=loveless

AlanShore

• Sr. Citizen
  • One day...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 07:40:31 PM »
Dont want to scare you, but I ended up getting my 167 after consistently doing 172-174 in practice.  I missed 8 on RC, so my advice would be just to practice all sections equally.  I feel I may have slacked a bit on RC, but I was still only missing 2-5/section in practice.  Good luck even though we'll probably end up competing for a spot somewhere
Corona Light with Lime:
Bud Select (WL): 3 of them
Warm Busch: Chicago, Columbia, Yale, NYU (:()
Still Brewing: too many to count
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary" - Vince Lombardi
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ChuckNorris

Steve Butabi

• Sr. Citizen
  • and I was like "EMILIOOOO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 11:15:47 AM »

a 3.16 and a 163 would definitely get you into a law school. don't cry because you're not top-10 material, most people aren't.
pm me if you're a hottie and you want to make out or whatever

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 11:23:46 AM »
a 3.16 and a 163 would definitely get you into a law school. don't cry because you're not top-10 material, most people aren't.

Ouch.
Who's your Daddy now?

Lawyerr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 12:45:40 PM »
Thanks for the positive attitude, prick. If I were shooting for a top 10 school, you might have a point. That said, I look at law school as an investment, first and foremost. I'm not about to pay tons of money to go to a half rate school where upon graduation I have to struggle for 10 years. Id just as soon stay where Im at.

Steve Butabi

• Sr. Citizen
  • and I was like "EMILIOOOO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 02:20:34 PM »
with a 3.16 and a 163, you could get into several schools at which (if you did well academically) you would be poised for a job in the top 200 firms. Don't write yourself off too quickly. Sure, you might only make 60,000 instead of 110,000 your first year. But you will be practicing FOR THE REST OF YOUR WORKING LIFE.

I'm just saying having too high standards for yourself on the LSAT (especially when you have a 3.16) is dangerous. Don't worry about it, relax, and prepare the best you can! One bad score shouldn't scare you away completely. Ok buddy?
pm me if you're a hottie and you want to make out or whatever