Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hows this for a topic?  (Read 563 times)

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hows this for a topic?
« on: August 11, 2005, 11:06:32 PM »
Well ive trashed my other topic and want to start over again... i was wondering if you guys could give me some advice or impressions about this topic...

i was thinking about writing how a year and a half ago, my mother was dealing with a lawyer regarding bankcruptcy proceedings. This lawyer ended up messing up pretty bad and we were forced to lose our house that we lived in all our life. Should i write about how this bolstered my interest in law or how i overcame the hardship of moving into a small apartment with my mother and never losing my devotion to law school and still keeping my grades high and head in school.

does this sound like a good topic? one of my questions is whether i should really be writing a statement about my dislike for a lawyer, i dont want to sound like im going into law shcool full of resentment, but it is a topic which contains adversity (which i have heard is always a good choice) so what should i do?
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hows this for a topic?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 01:37:25 PM »
anyone?
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

SkullTatt

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 01:47:53 PM »
I think it's a good topic. It's not something you see every day. And you don't have to make it a criticism of lawyers. There are a lot of different ways you could go with it:

squilla

• Sr. Citizen
  • UW Fall '06
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 03:00:41 PM »
Sounds good, but you are right in that care is needed to avoid being too negative.  The best thing to do is take anything negative and turn it into a positive. Good luck!

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 05:46:36 PM »
Focus on the hardship part (not so much the lawyer-bashing part).  If you can market yourself as someone who overcame hardship and go on to success, then that will bolster your chances (it sucks to kind of take advantage of the fact that you went through such a tough time, but this is a game we all have to play if it means an additional boost to our chances).
Yale.Law.School.2010

karl marx

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 04:30:48 PM »
maybe use that as a jumping point to talk about other reasons you want to go to school/would be a good lawyer, etc.  this topic by itself seems, at first glance, like not enough to fill an entire PS.  but I would definitely discuss it.  it sounds like a horrible experience.