Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Minnesota?  (Read 3161 times)

3ML

• View Profile
    • Email
University of Minnesota?
« on: August 11, 2005, 06:09:17 PM »
I'm rather interested in this school. It's a traditional top 20 program that only takes your highest LSAT (if the difference is greater than four points). That looks mighty good to me.

I don't now very much else about the school though (except what's in the US News Report), does anyone have any information? Has anyone visited? Any thoughts on the chances for postings with big firms from UMN? Shot at the big money jobs? Any idea as to the program's strengths and weaknesses?

In short, any thoughts at all on the University of Minnesota?

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Re: University of Minnesota?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 06:18:25 PM »
I personally don't know much about this school, but you can find some good info from the Guide to ABA approved law schools from LSAC:

http://officialguide.lsac.org/OFFGUIDE/CGI-BIN/OFFGUIDE.ASP?sid=089&item=main

HTH
Yale.Law.School.2010

3ML

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 06:27:31 PM »
I'll be driving across the continent before school starts in September. Maybe I should tour the campus then, stop by and talk to some people in admissions?

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 06:37:16 PM »
Wouldn't hurt to find out as much as you can about the school if you're interested in it.  No better way than to go there yourself.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Served

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 06:58:10 PM »
Minnesota is a great school, but for many it's in an unfortunate location in the an extreme climate.  The pros of the school:

- They read your entire application, not just look at your numbers
     - They have MANY clinics, and a high bar passage rate
     - They have plenty of clerkship opportunities
     - They are located in a descent city
     - They are top 20 in IP law
     - They are top 20 in placing students in elite law firms
     - 3 years of legal writing/research, very practical education
     - Relatively cheap
     - Huge law library, open 24/7
     - Diverse faculty
     - Many joint degree programs (great B-school/econ/social sciences, medical, etc.)

Cons:
     - Cold, cold, cold
     - More local reputation
     - Their professors consistently get "stolen" by top ten schools
     - Limited in resources like all public schools
“The best way to lie is to tell part of the truth.”     -Twain
“Religion is the universal obsessional neurosis of humanity.”     - Freud
“When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.”     - Maslow

3ML

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 09:14:11 PM »
Climate doesn't bother me at all, I'm Canadian. It will be a bit colder than Toronto, but I can deal with it. Besides that, it's a good hockey town, so that's a big plus. I tend to think that they would be pretty Canadian-like in many ways.

They also offer tuition discounts to residents of Manitoba. I wonder if I couldestablish residency there somehow. That would be sweet.

The one thing that does concern me is the 75th percentile wage is only 100k. That's really low, lower than a lot of schools ranked far behind Minnesota and kind of upsetting.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 09:19:04 PM »
Climate doesn't bother me at all, I'm Canadian. It will be a bit colder than Toronto, but I can deal with it. Besides that, it's a good hockey town, so that's a big plus. I tend to think that they would be pretty Canadian-like in many ways.

They also offer tuition discounts to residents of Manitoba. I wonder if I couldestablish residency there somehow. That would be sweet.

The one thing that does concern me is the 75th percentile wage is only 100k. That's really low, lower than a lot of schools ranked far behind Minnesota and kind of upsetting.

Those kinds of figures can be quite misleading if you don't know where these $100,000/year jobs are.  A dollar doesn't always buy the same amount in every place...
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

Served

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 09:30:58 PM »
That is a pretty good midwestern salary, where many of the graduates locate.  If you do go to the "U," get a relatively solid class rank and you will be golden for the 125K jobs anywhere in the country, but the same can be said of non t20 schools as well.
“The best way to lie is to tell part of the truth.”     -Twain
“Religion is the universal obsessional neurosis of humanity.”     - Freud
“When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.”     - Maslow

3ML

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 09:34:02 PM »
Hadn't thought of it that way. Only problem is that I don't imagine I'd want to stay in Minnesota after graduation. Guess that since less than 5% go to NY and very few go to Chicago even the median salary couldn't be high.

Guess I'm going to try to swing through there when I drive across the country.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 11:36:39 PM »
Hi.

I went to UMN for undergrad and helped teach a history course near the law school.  I've been in it and sat in on a class before.

Just got home from work, so I can't really write much here, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.  Just email me at sass0024 at umn.edu (don't feel like getting spammers tonight).
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)