Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do you do when you get denied by every school you applied to??!  (Read 26297 times)

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do when you get denied by every school you applied to??!
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2007, 02:55:28 PM »
Bump...inspirational thread.... :)

lol... this thread was so long ago... i'm amazed it is still around!! Reading it almost brings tears to my eyes.  I'm happy that my story has been so inspirational to them.... I wish all of you luck in your up in comming cycle and hope that you all have the success that I'v had.

Low LSAT means nothing.!! my LSGPA is now a 3.2! top 1/3 of the class!! Beat kids who got over a 160 on the LSAT.. So again! the LSAT MEANS NOTHING!! IT IS JUST A STUPID WAY FOR SCHOOLS TO SEPARATE STUDENTS!! gOOD LUCK TO ALL!!

No wonder you did poorly on the LSAT.  What makes you think that you can draw a reasonable conclusion about the correlation between LSAT scores and law school success based on one person's experience? 

Feeling sad because you're afraid your 171 won't guarantee you a spot on law review?

LSAT isn't considered for law review apps?

???
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2007, 02:58:51 PM »

???

If only.

Though I have heard of certain law firms asking for LSAT scores, regardless of which schools they went to.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2007, 03:01:59 PM »

???

If only.

Though I have heard of certain law firms asking for LSAT scores, regardless of which schools they went to.

Perhaps as a proxy for intelligence, since they can't ask for IQ tests?
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2007, 03:06:32 PM »

???

If only.

Possible.  I think this happens more for people applying for 1L summer associate positions since you wouldn't have had too much time to develop a consistent academic record. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2007, 12:05:16 AM »

lol... this thread was so long ago... i'm amazed it is still around!! Reading it almost brings tears to my eyes.  I'm happy that my story has been so inspirational to them.... I wish all of you luck in your up in comming cycle and hope that you all have the success that I'v had.

Low LSAT means nothing.!! my LSGPA is now a 3.2! top 1/3 of the class!! Beat kids who got over a 160 on the LSAT.. So again! the LSAT MEANS NOTHING!! IT IS JUST A STUPID WAY FOR SCHOOLS TO SEPARATE STUDENTS!! gOOD LUCK TO ALL!!

No wonder you did poorly on the LSAT.  What makes you think that you can draw a reasonable conclusion about the correlation between LSAT scores and law school success based on one person's experience? 

Feeling sad because you're afraid your 171 won't guarantee you a spot on law review?

What does my previous post have to do with the law review?  I thought he drew an unwarranted conclusion, and got a little too excited about being so wrong.  Do you agree with him that there is no correlation between LSAT scores and law school success?  Do you think that one person's experience is enough evidence to draw such a conclusion?

I don't think my LSAT score guarantees me anything.  If I get a spot on law review, it will be because I worked hard and wrote well.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2007, 12:11:10 AM »

Now now, ender, you're bigger than that...   ;)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2007, 12:16:05 AM »

You have only yourself to blame...

Thats a pretty rude thing to say to someone you don't even know...maybe the OP had familial problems that caused stress/hardship/lack of time to study, or maybe just maybe not everyone is as good at standardized tests as you (presumably) are
[/quote]

I think his point is that the OP never bothered to ascertain the importance of the exam, or prep whatsoever for it. 

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2007, 12:21:36 AM »

<----apologizes and humbly asks for forgiveness.  I was actually trying to be funny, but it didn't really come off that way. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2007, 12:31:34 AM »

???

If only.

Why can't they just ask for IQ tests?

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2007, 12:44:40 AM »

<----apologizes and humbly asks for forgiveness.  I was actually trying to be funny, but it didn't really come off that way. 

I just tend to root for the underdog.  Obviously, the post in question is somewhat questionable.  For one thing, I'm not sure if a 3.2 is really top 1/3, even at IU.  Secondly, you're correct that you can't really extrapolate from one individual in this context.  Finally, I think most people understand the LSAT does have some correlation with LS grades, even if (partly) simply because it reflects the amount of time and effort invested in one's prep. 

However, given that the LSAT is weighed so heavily in this process, and given that everyone knows its importance, I can't really blame someone for blowing off steam by making broad statements when he beats the odds.  The truth is that work and effort are just as important as aptitude in law school, and all the aptitude in the world won't matter if you don't go to class or do the reading.  The OP is therefore a shining and inspiring example of the tortoise/hare proverb.   :)