Law School Discussion

Whittier LS on Probation by ABA

NathanB

Re: Whittier LS on Probation by ABA
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 02:19:35 PM »
That has to be really humiliating, to be the only LS on probation, LOL. 

d1337

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 02:52:59 PM »

they are truly in their own tier

ginthailand

• I'll take the case...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 06:31:30 PM »
This doesn't necessarily mean bad things for Whittier students. With accreditaion at risk, Whittier will have to do a lot more for its 1Ls and make big strides and improvements. Until the final call is in from the ABA, I think Whittier students will have a far better experience than they would have in the past.

I certainly hope this is true.  For those of us attending Whittier this Fall, however, even a loss of accreditation really isn't fatal.  According to the ABA:

"An individual who matriculates at a law school that is then approved and who completes the course of study and graduates in the normal period of time required therefore is deemed a graduate of an approved school, even though the school's approval was withdrawn while the individual was enrolled therein."

For future classes, it will be a different matter.

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 08:25:12 PM »
Wow! As if this final stretch of pre-law wasn't hard enough. What the F? Should I just bail now and retake the LSAT in order to attend another school?  If my goal was to transfer, will schools be less likely to allow me to if Whittier is on probation? ???

makotosan

• Hey, I didn't know boys felt like this inside.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - simulatedasian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 08:54:40 PM »
Wow! As if this final stretch of pre-law wasn't hard enough. What the F? Should I just bail now and retake the LSAT in order to attend another school?  If my goal was to transfer, will schools be less likely to allow me to if Whittier is on probation? ???

I would hope that it wouldn't reflect on you like that. Any other schools should know that despite the current status of your school, you applied and made your decision before that. Besides, I doubt they'll actually lose it. As was said before, it will be a problem if/when they lose it only for the future students... it should be a no-brainer that the status was different when you made that decision.

S.J.

• That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 09:34:31 PM »

they are truly in their own tier

Still probably better than Cooley.

Also, I think UC Boulder was on probation once because of the need for better facilities, and they're a top-notch program.

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005, 10:39:11 PM »
Western State was in a similar situation, and now has their probationary status back (after suing).

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 12:46:05 AM »
Western State was in a similar situation, and now has their probationary status back (after suing).

Western State was never fully accredited. They lost their provisional accreditation and sued to get it back. Potentially losing full accreditation is a much bigger deal.

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2005, 07:33:32 AM »
That's awful convienent of them to release this information two days before our tuition becomes only 80% refundable.

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2005, 08:29:16 AM »
That's awful convienent of them to release this information two days before our tuition becomes only 80% refundable.

Ouch. Are you really having 2nd thoughts?